1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Names on the board.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by lovejoy_antiques, Nov 4, 2019.

1. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

The class I was covering today period 5 were a bit rowdy to say the least. Another teacher came in and asked why I hadn't used the school system and put names on the board. I told him I didn't know their bl**dy names!

Great party game invented there. 30 people you've never met before all decide to play up. You then have to look at the 2cm black and white photo sheet of 30 mug shots (some 3 years old) and identify accurately who did what. Time limit is before something else happens and your performance will be judged by the 30 students who are all at liberty to tell you you've got it wrong at any point!

I've always found such behaviour systems have the underlying assumption that one person is being silly and everyone else is sat there like a dummy! These systems become totally useless against a wall of disruption! Like attacking a wasps nest with a stick!

HS65, cathr, tonymars and 6 others like this.
  2. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Agree.

Children change an awful lot between year 7 and Year 9/10

catbefriender and agathamorse like this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

What about other support? Could you encourage a Shouter with a Radio to appear and help settle them down? And apply the seating plan (I know, I know)? Even neighbouring teachers?

All easier said than done but identifying the people who'll help with these problems is easily my first task on landing at a school.

4. lovejoy_antiques

The head of dept came in and shouted BFL a few times, got completely ignored, then went back to her own lesson safe in the knowledge she'd de-escalated the situation.

I think BFL stands for behaviour for learning. NMFP would have been just as effective (not my f****** problem)!

5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Precisely why they decided to employ a supply teacher (as opposed to using a CS or TA or office staff) and probably why the original teacher is off sick.

Well at least they now have a convenient scapegoat for when the school spirals downwards.

You are now in a position to charge more for turning up there. The agency will already be ahead of you on that so don't be scared to push.

6. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

Sounds like the woman didn’t understand the concept of a supply teacher.

The information on children which I’m given at different schools varies immensely. Sometimes I have photos printed, and a register, sometimes two sets of photos, sometimes two registers; sometimes wrongly labelled information.

agathamorse and BertieBassett2 like this.
  7. lovejoy_antiques

Just had a look at yesterday's school's website. The dichotomy between the reality of the place and what the website claims it to be is staggering beyond belief! To quote them "we provide a world class education"! The delusion and arrogance knows no bounds! If I was there long term this would really rankle me. There is a line between positive marketing spin and out and out BS.

8. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Ah yes indeed lovejoy. I'm on a gig at the moment where I have LOTS of split classes. I 'teach' therefore may 250+ kids a week. I have mugshots but no photographic memory. Two days in.

Use the system.

Ah yes indeed.

Fortunately at the moment the permanents at the school seem supportive and helpful. Early days

9. lovejoy_antiques

10. lovejoy_antiques

Tried to upload an image of the eighties classic game guess who? But it didn't work. Anyway you get the general idea!