1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Names in colleges and interview

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by Moony, May 4, 2011.

1. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Hi

I've got a quick question that I was oping I could get some help with. I'm secondary qualified and I've got an interview at a 6th form college and I've got what might seem a silly question. From looking at the website for where my interview is it looks like the students use the first names of staff and coming from an environment where it's miss/sir I'm unsure if they'll be expecting me to introduce myself with my first name or with my surname. Like i said it's probably a silly question but I've mostly gone for jobs in schools so it's not something I've had any experience of with in the past.

Thanks in advance!

2. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Hi

I've got a quick question that I was oping I could get some help with. I'm secondary qualified and I've got an interview at a 6th form college and I've got what might seem a silly question. From looking at the website for where my interview is it looks like the students use the first names of staff and coming from an environment where it's miss/sir I'm unsure if they'll be expecting me to introduce myself with my first name or with my surname. Like i said it's probably a silly question but I've mostly gone for jobs in schools so it's not something I've had any experience of with in the past.

Thanks in advance!

3. It is usual for students to call you by your first name in 6th Form colleges, but some students will still call you Miss as they struggle to get out of the habit too. Introduce yourself giving them your full name and let them make the decision.

4. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Thanks. It's only an interview but I want to make sure I get this right!