1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Names for literacy, num and reading groups?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pocoyo, Aug 23, 2011.

1. What names do you have for your groups? I need to think of some for my class and wondered what sorts of names you use? :0)

xxx

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Maths will probably be 2D shapes, the more sides on the shape the higher the group.

Literacy will probably be adjectives/vocab to do with fire as The Great Fire of London is our main topic. Children may get to choose these themselves. I'm hoping for things like 'Fiery Flames'.

Guided Reading I've not decided yet...maybe characters from the book study we are doing at the time?

3. Haha...
    If people in 'real' jobs saw threads like this!! But like you, I've considered this for far too long when I should be doing something more useful!!
    Maths - 3D shapes but used pictures of shapes in real life context. Rubik cube for cubes, football for spheres, can of beans for cylinders.
    English - adjectives, nouns, verbs, adverbs etc
    Guided Reading - decided on genres - science fictions, horror, mystery etc.
    Spent forever on google images searching for that important image to go with group names!! I really need to get a life!!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Now that is a good idea...might have to redo my group list

5. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Ms BB, which group get called 'Horror'? haha.

6. Haha... You noticed that!! My class found that funny too! I use it a term of endearment obviously. I do wonder when I've seen LA groups over the years named as 'bananas' or 'snails' if it was intentional!!
    When my son was five, his group were the 'aubergines'. Not sure what that meant.... !?
    My groups are named completely at random...

7. Well in that case, I also have toblerone (triangualar prisms), cereal (cuboids) and pyramids (well... sqaure based pyramids - best I could do).
    Just thought seeing the shapes in a real life context might help the names sink in... Easier if you can relate the shapes to something concrete...

8. Sorry for typing errors above!! I can spell, it's late, I should really go to bed.... [​IMG]

9. Thank you for your replies. :0) x

10. My topic for the term is pirates, so I am having Pirates, Compasses, Jolly Rogers, Pirate Ships and Treasure Maps.