1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

names for ability groups!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by amz1989, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Hello all!

I am in the process of grouping my children based on reports/ feedback from their feeder nurseries... I thought it may be nice to share ideas of group names!!

Amz x

2. Hello all!

I am in the process of grouping my children based on reports/ feedback from their feeder nurseries... I thought it may be nice to share ideas of group names!!

Amz x

3. pumpkinsoup88

pumpkinsoup88 New commenter

4. There are some nice ones I've seen too - bird and animal names, names of precious stones, names of capital cities, characters in books and so on - all much nicer than colours which seems to be the fail safe!

5. Oooohh! I like them, Thanks :)

Amz x

6. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

How about something relevant to the area you live in? For example, I live in the town where Captain James Cook was born, so we named our houses after his ships.
    Or since it's a year to the Olympics, how about names of famous Olympians (preferably British!) from a range of sports?

7. we have gone on a positive note and are using 'Amazing, Brilliant, Fantastic and Magnificent' this year (alphabetically from high to low ability).

8. Clever idea much more fun and less obvious than my months of the year January = lowest etc and shapes triangle = lowest etc.

9. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

One school who shall be nameless called them ;Gordon, Gilbert,London and Bombay- all after gin brands!

10. lol well that cheered up my day

11. I'm pinching the amazing, brilliant etc idea for maths (if I may) and have gone with punctuation for literacy - has to be something that I can remember so lowest full stops, question marks, exclamation marks etc - got to get punctuation into the head of my year 2's somehow.

12. I did the following for lit last year:
    nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, pronouns
    I had these for maths:
    Circles, triangle, squares, pentagons and hexagons
    Then my team groups - the ones they earned team points for were linked to the topic we were doing that term. In the last term we did the Doctor Who script writing competition so they were: The Master, The Doctor, The Ood, Cybermen, and Daleks. My Year 5/6 class loved this.
    This year we have a tribal name so will probably choose team names connected with the country I am doing (once I have chosen a tribal name) or as we are doing Egyptians I may use that. Not decided yet :)
    I would advise keeping the system simple because it can get quite complicated if you have literacy places, guided reading places, naths places and the MA (afternoon?) places/teams.

13. Name them after the characters in the Gruffalo :)

My old school named the groups after relevant words for the subject, i.e. paragraphs, sentences, blurbs etc. for literacy, but they were alphabetically ordered, so blurbs = higher, sentences = lower

:)

14. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

yirg, can i ask how many ability groups you have? the reason i ask is because we're not allowed to sit them in ability groups at my school, head insists on them being mixed ability. I kinda agree, and so have given them general tables to sit at. However, i do like the reassurance of having ability groups, even if i dont sit them in them. It helps me to plan, and reminds me to differentiate. for example i can still say i want circles to do one task, squares another. At the moment ive only planned for 3 ability groups, higher average lower. Would you say this is about right

15. Hi fruitloop - I had five groups last year because I had a large, mixed age and very diverse class, towards the end of the year the two top groups were often doing more or less the same thing though. You'll probably be ok with 3 groups but may need to think about SEN.

16. That just made my day, ha ha! Thanks for posting :)