1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Name badges in interview lessons.....

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by GodOfBiscuits, Apr 10, 2011.

1. GodOfBiscuits

GodOfBiscuits New commenter

Howdy,
    What are the thoughts on name badges in interview lessons?

I'm doing 45 minutes, top set, year 10, maths and I'm thinking of handing out some sticky labels and pens for the pupils to make their own name badges.

Is this generally seen as a good thing in terms of using names and such, or am i just wasting my teaching time, since it's an interview lesson and i'm not expected to know names anyway?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just my opinion, but
    1 It will waste valuable time whilst they write their names. (Plus even though it's an interview not all may write their actual name.)
    2 It's quite easy to say 'When you answer a question, could you be good enough to say your name so I know who's come up with all that brillliant answer.' or similar wording depending on your personality, or ask children's names as you go round talking to them.

3. I think it would be a wast of time, just try to rember 4-6 names of the class, thats what i did on my last interview got the job n it was art of my feedback that i had started to learn pupils names

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

On a few occasions I have got children to make triangular prism name stands for their desks from an A4 sheet of paper. However these were interviews for maths teacher posts and so formed part of the mental starter. Not sure I'd have done it for any other subject.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Just reread your post and see that you are doing maths as well. So long as you are confident that you can deal with those who write Donald Duck as their name then name stand prisms might be the way to go. For year 10, you'd not have to stick to triangular.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on getting that interview, GoB.
    I have, when doing observations, seen final-year undergraduates who fill in the official attendance sheet and sign as Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse.
    What's the betting that the whole of the back row will be more subtle and choose the names of the SLT? Or Man U team members?
    Anything above year 7 I wouldn't risk it, personally.
    Good luck!
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

7. whitewindows

whitewindows New commenter

hhmm I have an interview this week and had planned to give them lollipop sticks as they came in to write their names on - then use this as an assessment technique later on in the lesson. It's a 40 minute Y9 mixed ability lesson.....
    Now I am torn..

8. Amz_fairy

Amz_fairy New commenter

I always use name labels in interview lessons, BUT I am primary, and generally have a TA who I ask to sort out the labels. I use it as an opportunity to show how I can direct a TA, as well as showing that I make the effort to use pupils' names. I also take along my own sticky labels to use.

I don't think it'd be that advisable in secondary. Would they have their books out on the table? You could sneak a look at their names on the front cover? That's something I do on supply to make the class think I know all their names! Or you could request a copy of the class seating plan?

9. Err... Just saw it's year 10 you're teaching... Never mind, labels will be pointless in my opinion for that age. Just be enthusiastic and request a name when they answer, in year 10 it'll probably be the same hands over and over so it'll just be a couple of names to remember.