1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Namby Pamby! Stop Using Supply Teachers As Scapegoats!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Happyregardless, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Namby Pamby upside down priorities of 'modern behaviour management' iin some schools....:mad:

( you can possibly tell what kind of day I've had. Just sick of being scapegoated by not just kids, but other staff and parents when kids act like little ******* just because its easier to blame 'the supply teacher':rolleyes:

Even where there is a consistent behaviour method across school it appears to have little or no difference for some pupils because let's face it there are no real consequences.:(

"Oh it's my autism Miss" - No it bloody wel lisn't you're just a disruptive little *******
    "Are you always angry Miss?" not particularly, just when I'm addressing your rudeness for the umpteeth time

And just the general ethos these days that some pupils can have books that look like Quasimodo's note book, after he's walked over it and think that's acceptable work? Lazy, lazy lazy but no you darent say even a SLIGHTEST bit of criticism for the little darlings as they will run home to mummy and daddy and you will get a call from the agency asking what's wrong with you? Year 6 and some of it looks like year 1 at best?

Let me see today I was blamed because they had to write the title in again because they hadn't stuck their sheets in properly. ALL the paper pre cut so it would already fit in book, but despite saying this several times, all queueing up at the paper cutter to trim it down again and making a big fuss about it.Stick it in first and then write the title I think I said about fiur times and then they didnt listen and blamed me " This is the WORSSSSST teacher we've had etc"

I had to sit down and talk to thm about personal responsibility at the end of the day and the fact that their lack of any ounce of common sense or listening to instructions skills wasn't exactly my fault. That respect ran both ways and they needed to take a good, hard look at their own behaviour before scapegoating and blaming adults around them.

Then of course a handful of the most polite and well mannered pupils from the class come up to me and say " Sorry about this afternoon Miss" and of course it wasn't anything to do with these kids!

Is this also about the kind of 'excusatory' attitude most school staff and parents have towards the little darlings these days and I'm talking about " Oh it's just because it's someone different!" ( how often have you heard that little chestnut?o_O "Oh it's because its change.... etc"

Let's stop the bull *****! Children SHOULD be expected to respect and behave well for any adult teaching them and until we're all onboard with this and stop making excuses, then the bull****** will continue because we're allowing it - not the change, no tthe difference, not the kids even - but the adults around them who are either on purpose of unconsciously reinforcing this attitude.

rant over ;)

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

The problem is that the entitlement attitude will contnue into high school but when they then have to have a job where it is a requirement to respect others then they will not know what to do.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's always been much too easy to blame supply teachers.

4. ms honey

ms honey Occasional commenter

Agree with all posts, as Pepper highlighted they won't be pandered to in the real world, making constant excuses for bad behaviour does the kids no favours whatsoever

5. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I often found - when talking to this sort of child when on supply or permanent - that many wanted to join the police or the army. Good luck with that attitude when you join up!

agathamorse, pepper5 and tonymars like this.
  6. cathr

cathr Occasional commenter

I watched an episode of Road Cops recently (or something similar) and was much amused by one road user, stopped for not wearing his seat belt, who initially refused to give his name then refused to state his address. I think he gave up on the name issue eventually but persisted with the address which resulted in a temporary incarceration while investigations where being carried out, and subsequently, a substantial penalty. (If you are the driver of any vehicle including pedal cycles you can be required to give your name, address and date of birth (Road Traffic Act 1988 s163-168)…

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  7. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

I've done very little day to day supply, but I went into one school where they had a 'feeling's' chart on the wall. Throughout the day these children would move their names about from good, annoyed, upset etc. If they didn't like something, off they went, if it was vaguely ok, off they went again, a perpetual wave of children, walking to and fro to the 'feeling' board.

I would have liked one too, with 'totally p$$d off' on it. I never went back.

8. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Senior commenter

I had an awful group this afternoon. I've seen more discipline at a chimps tea party. A couple of the mean girls took a break from attending to their phones to tell me what a bad teacher I was. I told them that maybe it was them that were bad students. This didn't go down well and they ran off to report me! Reports about teachers from students seem to be treated more seriously where I am than reports about students behaviour from the supply guy! What a topsy turvy parallel universe we now exist in!

9. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

I know when I did supply and was in that situation, all I would say was, "have fun. I get paid regardless".

10. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Been there lovejoy. These schools have given up. Don't take it personally. If you need the money, water off a duck's... if not, you can leave when you want...

11. tonymars

This isn't a school in Surrey, is it?

pepper5 likes this.
  12. lovejoy_antiques

No. Midlands. Don't want to pin it down any more than that.

pepper5 likes this.
  13. lovejoy_antiques

Definitely need the money at the minute!

pepper5 and tonymars like this.
  14. cathr

pepper5 likes this.
  15. cathr

When such a claim is made but no trace of it is to be found on the school's database and there is no obvious sign of it being a possibility, I enjoy logging my concerns on said database, making sure the student is aware that I am reporting their 'difficulty'. Watching the student squirm is immensely amusing.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. cathr

I meant when a claim of autism or dyslexia or anything else is made (I am having issues with TES' quoting system..)

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  17. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Phatsals

Your post made me smile. LOL.

I had 10 years of insanity...just like lovejoy's post number 8.

That description could apply to many schools in the UK.

What a waste of resources and it will be a massive shock to many when they either can't find a job or get a minimum wage job. No one is doing them any favours at all by letting students waste time.

Poor manners won't get them anywhere.

ms honey and agathamorse like this.
  18. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Tony, by any chance are you Physics/ Maths near Guildford and available in the short to medium term?

I will try and work out pm messaging if the answers are yes.

19. tonymars

Afraid not Deirds, no to both

20. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Ah, well. Nice school but I am a bit out of my depth and they need an experienced person really. I’ve given notice because I’m too busy with other commitments.