1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Naked attraction

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Orkrider2, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Did anyone else see this last night?

I consider myself to be pretty open-minded and difficult to shock, but the concept of a dating show where naked people are put in coloured boxes like weird, life-sized, sexual barbies and slowly different revealing parts of their anatomy, which are then discussed at length before one poor soul is rejected purely on the basis that their ex-potential date didn't like something about their body, until only 2 people are left (at which point the chooser gets naked too) left me a little skeeved out if I'm honest.

I mean, I've been on many bad dates, made many poor romantic choices and had a couple of distinctly unwise relationships, but at no point did I ever think that the problem was that I'd not been able to see them naked before I decided to get romantically involved with them. It was not the lack of a peachy bum or too much body hair or the way his peen dangled that caused the relationships to fail. An excess of clothes were not the issue, so I'm not sure how this show is trying to promote the idea that lack of clothes will somehow make for the beginning of a stronger relationship, apart from maybe being suited simply because they're both exhibitionists.

I get that its supposed to be about body positivity or something, but just... no. Surely there are better ways of making us feel better about ourselves than watching as a camera pans across 5 uncensored sets of genitals.

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The whole concept sounded so awful I didn't watch. Can programme making get any worse?

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I gave up watching reality TV a long time ago

ScotSEN, peggylu, Shedman and 3 others like this.
  4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Fortunately not
    So stupid!!!

ScotSEN and peggylu like this.
  5. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Bread and circuses.

6. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Couldn't quite believe the description after the previous programme we had watched so Mr C and I watched ten mins. Very bizarre and won't be tuning in again! Some people must be very desperate to get a partner.....or get on TV.

ScotSEN and grumpydogwoman like this.
  7. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Nick Baines, Bishop Of Leeds, is with you on this, Ork. In this week's Radio Times, he writes "I'm not sure this is entirely healthy."

(
    On the other hand, when discussing Adam & Eve, he writes: "The point of this is not that they are naked...it is that they realise they are transparent." So I'm not entirely sure how much trust we should put in his opinions.)

Shedman likes this.
  8. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

1. Sex sells.
    2. Old-style freak shows are in bad taste. New ones have replaced them.
    3. It is impossible to under-estimate the taste of the public.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Big Brother is still going even if nobody watches it any more

10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Could it be some psychobabble thing about being naked strips away the conventions, so that people are not constrained and they can get to know the 'real' person more quickly? I bet that's how it was pitched to the clearly desperate programme maker.

Meh. Not interested; plenty more interesting things to do at that time of night. The Kindle calls.

ScotSEN and stupot101 like this.
  11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Not really 'reality' though, is it! :eek:

At least not down my street....

ScotSEN, hasslethehog and stupot101 like this.
  12. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Reality TV is the best. Not the Big Brother, Geordie Shore type stuff (though GS is a secret guilty pleasure of mine), but I love things like Hell's Kitchen, The Apprentice, Eden, etc.

And frankly, after the way 2016 has panned out so far, GBBO is exactly the kind of pure, wholesome, goodness that I need in my life.

13. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I don't like the sound of it at all. It sounds like a really good way to tap into the deepest insecurities about body image that have become so common these days, especially amongst young people.

It's hard to imagine a more superficial way to search for a romantic partnership :(.

ScotSEN, Shedman, cissy3 and 2 others like this.
  14. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I just felt so sorry for the bloke that was eliminated after the ***** rounds. I mean, the woman was literally saying that she didn't want to date him based on the appearance of his D. I don't care how confident you think you are, I'd bet that'd bring up a few insecurities in anyone!

15. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Apparently Willie with a y isn't allowed.

ScotSEN, hasslethehog and stupot101 like this.
  16. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

It's terrestrial TV trying to win back younger viwers and advertising revenue. It sounds like one of Alan Partridge's desperate suggestions for a TV show. Individual internet broadcasters and internet based interactive events are now dominating and TV will have had its day.

hasslethehog and Shedman like this.
  17. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Saw the trailer for this whilst watching Eden - first and last time. 15 minutes of TV stretched to I hr. This concept has been done to death. Eden that is .....

18. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Garbage like this sends out all the wrong messages to everyone, especially to children & young people.

ScotSEN likes this.
  19. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I always watch the first in the celebrity series, just to see if I recognise any of the "celebs". I then discover I know of two of them at most, and my interest usually peters out at that point.

20. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I cannot see it catching on irl! However my daughter and I watched it. The first couple I really quite liked. I couldn't get over how comfortable all the people involved seemed with their nakedness and to a point I don't think that is a bad thing. I have to say I think the shock value of the programme is the aim rather than an educative or social purpose.

hasslethehog and Burndenpark like this.