1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nail varnish... for teachers.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NNS, Jul 5, 2012.

1. NNS

NNS New commenter

I used to paint my nails before (dark reds, dark greens, generally neutral and earth colours), not obsessed or anything, but it was a part of my feel-good routine.
    With the lack of time during PGCE I totally forgot about it.

Last week we had a sports day and as a part of the 'costume' every form was supposed to dress up in different colours, I painted nails for the first time in ages which made me realise I have not seen a single teacher with nails painted in my school, and I was wondering- do people not do it because they find it unsuitable, not enough time, or something else?

I was not educated in the UK and I remember many of my teachers back in school wearing nail varnish and it did not feel out of place somehow...

2. NNS

NNS New commenter

I used to paint my nails before (dark reds, dark greens, generally neutral and earth colours), not obsessed or anything, but it was a part of my feel-good routine.
    With the lack of time during PGCE I totally forgot about it.

Last week we had a sports day and as a part of the 'costume' every form was supposed to dress up in different colours, I painted nails for the first time in ages which made me realise I have not seen a single teacher with nails painted in my school, and I was wondering- do people not do it because they find it unsuitable, not enough time, or something else?

I was not educated in the UK and I remember many of my teachers back in school wearing nail varnish and it did not feel out of place somehow...

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Never, ever, I taught Food!!

4. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

It chips! Chipped polish is dreadful.

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

You're at work not an evening do!
    I don't think it's appropriate really.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Really?

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Yes.

My colleagues would seem to agree with me. I don't think any of us wear nail varnish.

8. flossy-fluffy

flossy-fluffy New commenter

I have never attended work without nail varnish! I paint them every Sunday evening, put a top coat on and they usually look good all week. This despite having hard working hands! I work in a small school and can think of at least 3 other teachers who always wear nail varnish. Can't see how it's inappropriate in any way!

laydeedah likes this.
  9. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Never been seen without my nailpolish. Good quality ones don't chip.

laydeedah likes this.
  10. I paint my nails not regularly- not as often as I would like due to time restraints but I think it's appropriate. I like going to work dressed well with hair and nails done. I always feel better and more confident when I know I look good. I think people should do what works for them once they aren't coming in with a belt as a skirt etc [​IMG]

11. NNS

NNS New commenter

A mixed response I see :)

To ladies who use nail varnish- what colours do you go for usually?
    I remember using nail varnish that used to last for days without chipping, I'll see if I can find something thatlasts, I quite like my nails painted again!

12. chocolatelover

chocolatelover New commenter

My head has commented on my nail varnish (good comments) and asked the make/colour etc... I don't see why you can't wear it, it is like wearing makeup in school! As long as it is not 'over the top' I think it is fine.

13. grrrlatrix

grrrlatrix New commenter

Yes, I always paint my nails, or have false pre-manicured ones.Colours vary depending on the mood, but mostly it's just plain or pale pink with white tips. Sometimes red, but really anything I feel like.

14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I always chip nail varnish so I have treated myself to gels - colour which stays on until they remove it at the beauticians. At the moment I have a very girlie Barbie pink.
    I doubt that I'll keep it up into next September but that's because I am lazy, not because I think it is inappropriate in anyway.

15. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Don't usually bother with painted fingernails because they chip too easily.
    However, can't stand bare trotters, so always paint my toes a vibrant colour!

16. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

Do you have to have them done at the beauticians BS? I fancy something that doesn't chip - mind you I never paint my nails as there are hardly any to paint :(

17. lrw22

lrw22 Senior commenter

I sometimes wear clear or pale pink varnish for work, I don't see a problem with wearing nail poilsh at work though.

18. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

I love painted nails. I wear fire-engine red. I have been complimented on my nails in school. I'd love to know what brand FlossyFluffy wears that lasts for a whole week. I'm lucky if I get two days before mine start to chip.
    I don't see nail varnish as unprofessional but each to their own.

19. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I don't know. After a Google all the gel stuff on sale appears to be aimed at beauticians so it looks like it.
    It wasn't cheap to get them done but they last for about a month and then you can get them filled in. I've had matching toes done too for my summer holidays.

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'd be wary of gel nails. I got mine done about 7 years ago and have had a recurring fungal infection ever since.