1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NAHT

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by littlevanner, Aug 22, 2020.

1. littlevanner

littlevanner New commenter

Hi
    I am just trying to decide whether to continue paying the NAHT lifetime membership now I’ve retired.
    You effectively have to pay a full years membership up front -£420-
    Ant then £38 pa after that
    The latter is fine but the former seems a bit steep
    Has anyone else kept up the membership and do you feel it’s worthwhile?
    Thank you

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

It seemed unnecessarily pessimistic to go on paying in once I retired. They were never very helpful when I was working anyway so it wasn't a hard decision. It was part of stopping being a teacher - you can let go and just become a person.

3. wayside34

wayside34 New commenter

I never carried on after retirement.Use the money to enjoy your retirement. If you have just retired, Happy retirement...

littlevanner likes this.
  4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I pay mine to the NAHT. Having been a head, I worried that you never know what might arise from your period of employment. I’d rather have the backing of my union in that case. However, the more years that elapse the less I’d be inclined to keep it up. They used to have the one year full subscription for life membership then free after that.

littlevanner and Marshall like this.
  5. Prim

Prim Occasional commenter

As above, you never know what may rear its ugly head a few years from now, something you may not have thought twice about. Lifetime membership is a must for any retiring teacher who has worked through the 70s and 80s, my opinion of course.

littlevanner likes this.
  6. Treacle3

Treacle3 New commenter

Why the 70s and 80s?

7. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I have paid the years subscription as you never know what will happen and by paying this you get cover for life. To me it was a no-brainer having gone through what I went through with excellent support from the NAHT when I needed it when I was still working.

Others might feel differently. Next month I move down to the yearly fee.

Prim and Sundaytrekker like this.
  8. Prim

Prim Occasional commenter

Why not? Most people who taught during this period will be approaching retirement now.

9. Treacle3

Treacle3 New commenter

Just I took it to mean that the 70s and 80s teachers were particularly vulnerable to potential issues - misread your meaning. No worries.

Prim likes this.