1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Naace KS3 ICT curriculum - full version published

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by TheAdviser, Mar 15, 2012.

1. You can find the full version of the Naace curriculum proposals for KS3 HERE. KS1 and 2 are currently in preparation and should be available after Easter.

2. Never heard of Naaca. So who says they are a font of knowledge, that we should sit up and listen to?

3. Given that ICT has been a total mess for over a decade, that it is riddled with Mickey Mouse qualifications (albeit in their last throws of life), that Gove, Google, Microsoft, CAS, industry and about every other commentor going has expressed disgust in one form or another at what ICT in schools has become, given that the new GCSE ICT qualifications are yet more of the same, with the most tedious controlled assessments going, that take infinitely longer to complete than the exam boards have said, what if any are Naace's accomplishments and how effective is it at promoting ICT in schools, I wonder?

4. NAACE is the ICT association. Find out more here -> http://www.naace.co.uk/about

5. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Well it looks all very new - game making etc where have they been for teh last few years and yes some interesting stuff but dull to teach would love to see some of tehse people teach in an inner city school where pupils like to be inspired.

6. Well it looks all very the same thing as before to me.
    What does NAACE stand for - I can't find it anywhere apart from National Association .......

any suggestions.?

7. It's National Association of Advisors for Computers in Education Captain.

8. Oh - the C stands for Computers?[​IMG]

9. tonyuk

Re writting of most of what we all ready have with some very dull stuff thrown in as well Brilliant I must get a job at a quango so I can leave teaching and tell teachers what to teach!

10. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

On the first day of my first teaching post, the HoD handed me the "teaching scheme" for all of the lower school classes. It just about covered one side of paper and told me everything I needed to know
    No scheme of work, syllabus or curriculum document that I've seen since (or had inflicted on me) has improved on that concise and well crafted document.
    indeed, in recent years, the tedious verboseness of these documents seems to have gotten worse.
    70 odd pages to say - teach the kids a something about computers and stuff - jeez
    (Sadly the Computing at School stuff is little better in this respect )

11. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

On a more serious note who exactly are NAACE (teachers? educationalists?) and do they actually have any gravitas in the potential direction of the 2014 curriculum. I have seen the acronym bandied around many a time but have no idea who these people are and more importantly if there is any evidence that they know what they are doing...

12. Possibly the CAS document could be more concise
    but it is vastly more definitive (or prescriptive depending on your
    point of view) than Naace's equivalent. Personally I prefer the CAS
    document because unless technically challenging topics are
    specifically stated too many schools will choose to avoid them.

13. tonyuk

Depends what you mean by challenging topics - the curriculum needs to be broad based we have kids wanting to go into programming, networking, webdesign, office work, set up their own business, photography etc. We need to ensure that pupils are taught a broad base not just a limited field which means that in a few years time industry complains that kids cant use XXX and the curriculum changes yet again!

14. I'm fine with a broad curriculum - provided that doesn't mean 'interpret it how you like and avoid challenging topics' - which in the opinion of Ofsted, the Royal Society, e-skills, Google, Microsoft etc is exactly the current problem.
    Also I think photography belongs to Art, business to business studies. We can't teach everything and we need to justify our status as a discrete subject best taught by us.

15. tonyuk

I will stick with us teaching photoshop etc thats like saying why teach spreadsheets as that belongs in Maths. As as Ofsted agreed when they came in I think I would rather stick to our surrent teaching broad base!

16. I think lots of Maths
    and Business Studies departments do make extensive use of
    spreadsheets.

If your broad based
    curriculum is really broad then I guess it includes: algorithms,
    searching and sorting, logic operations, number bases (binary and
    hexadecimal), normalisation, quantization, sampling, SQL, machine
    architecture, compilers, interpreters, protocols, HTML, CSS, circuit
    switching, packet switching, MAC Addresses, IP addresses, encryption,
    security, caching and HCI....
    If it's broad enough to
    include all those things and you can do a better job than the art
    department at using photoshop then rock on:)

17. [​IMG]
    Sadly - I do think I can do a one hundred percent better job with photoshop than the art department.
    But like you - I think I have my own subject to teach and would prefer not to support the Art department in their airy-fairy - ohhh it's a computer - I can't work that - mind state.
    Trouble with teaching photoshop is that - when, eventually the art teachers come through who are IT literate, can use photoshop and want to teach it - where it properly ought to be. We will be under threat in ICT - again.

18. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Photoshop and spreadsheets aren't the same thing at all, surely?
    If we get back to the definition of ICT as a tool to process and communicate information, then spreadsheets are a tool to do that. You can't create a spreadsheet without knowing how to create a spreadsheet.
    There are no essential skills to be learnt in Photoshop. Indeed, as a keen amateur photographer, I think that if one of my photos needs editing then I need to go back and take it again. Anything beyond that - posterisation, solarisation, or any other effects - is "art", not ICT.
    I think the confusion over areas like this has led to a lack decent creative courses. If I look at our local college prospectus, you can choose between "photography", which still includes a lot of darkroom work, and "digital photography", which is really a course on using Photoshop. Video editing is the same - there are plenty of courses that will tell you how to use Adobe Premiere, or whatever, but nothing about long shots, J-cuts, etc.

19. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I've now had a quick look through the document - it's surprisingly similar to A level ICT, isn't it? That's not a bad thing, necessarily - I've been thinking about adding some concepts from A level Decision Maths to the KS3 ICT curriculum - things like shortest paths, the postman problem, etc.
    What I would definitely remove is the stuff about business and professional standards. I think that KS3 is for education, not vocational training, and the dull stuff can be left to KS4 or post-16.
    I like the idea of the research section - it does frustrate me how un-resourceful students are these days, and how it never even occurs to them to look in the Help or search on-line if they can't do something. I would probably add a bit more about filing, file sizes and formats, the perils of transcoding, etc.

20. I have to agree with somebody above.
    Why does it take 70 odd pages to produce this.
    What credentials do these people have?
    Staff involved in IT in schools have been bemoaning the courses offered for 10 years now, where was NAACE then?