1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Naace Curriculum Review Think Tank

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by scrunchup, Feb 22, 2011.

1. I've been invited to one of Naace's regional Think Tanks tomorrow, and we'll be discussing the importance of ICT in the curriculum. Based on what's discussed, Naace will be writing a response to the Department of Education.
    The agenda includes "What aspects of ICT should be taught in schools and why?", "What capabilities should be expected of a Year 6 pupil" and "What are the imperitives for other curriculum subjects that demand the use of ICT?"
    The full agenda is here: http://www.naace.co.uk/events/curriculumthinktanks
    If you have anything you'd like me to put forward in the meeting, I'll gladly pass it on.

2. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

I would have thought thats some good teaching in KS1 and 2 would be good that goes a bit further than research on the internet, powerpoint, and wordprocessing/DTP. Some spreadsheet wok databases etc and Primaries having actual computer suites would be a start!
    Dont get me wrong I know that there is some good teaching out there but it gets a bit mad when pupils come to me and their experience varies from almost none to a fair bit depending on the Primary!

3. I bet it was rivetting. anyone ask what naace's impact on ict in schools over the last decade has been? Anyone ask if they will be shouting strong objections to ict being out of the ebac to the newspapers? Perhaps some discussion was had about the huge confusing range of qualifications, the dumbing down of ict, the death of computing or why numbers have declined dramatically in the sixth form. Or maybe a nice unrealistic new list about what to teach primary kids was produced ?

4. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

It would be nice if there was some good teaching in ALL key stages on how to research, word process and use DTP appropriately. Let alone spreadsheets and database - which we find they come to us with fairly adequate skills compared to their WP/DTP.

5. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

I would agree good DTP and WP and presentation would be lovely - and in KS3/4/5 as well in other subjects no matter how much we bang on about it!
    You are lucky if they come to you with the skills in databases and spreadsheets as in all teh schools I have worked in the primary kids come in with hardly any skills in this.

6. All of these things were discussed. I did a writeup about if you want to take a look: http://maban.co.uk/50
    We were encouraged to all write our own responses to the curriculum review to make the impact of the message stronger. I've written to MPs and the press about the effect the cuts are already having on ICT departments in schools, and how that will affect the IT industry as a whole, but it doesn't seem to be a priority to them.
    However, I did get an email back from my own MP saying she's worried about it and she's going to bring it up in the House of Commons.