1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

myths and legends

Discussion in 'Primary' started by philpatjj, Jan 30, 2010.

1. starting this topic Monday, Y3 Y4, have seen the Literacy Framework guidance + Hamilton Trust etc. etc. plus the http://myths.e2bn.org/ website which is brilliant.
    Wondered if anyone had any specific tips / tasks / worksheets / texts they use ?
    Thanks, Phil

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I used the e2bn site last week with Y2 for a one off lesson for Burn's night we used the legend of Tam O'Shanter and agree it's a really useful site.

3. http://myths.e2bn.org/ Is a great site.
    We looked (Y5) at Daedalus and Icarus and Theseus and the Minotaur and explored how the two myths are inter-linked- Daedalus having built the labyrinth for the Minotaur.
    We looked at telling the stories from another perspective- Minotaur, Ariadne etc.Using lots of drama. It also generated lots of art opportunities- sculpting characters etc.

4. I too used the website and used 'Sir Gawain and the green knight' and others. I recommend using the questions from the attachments on the standards site and creating a 'myth map' early on in their planning, where they can elaborate on setting description - lots of role play and talk partners to explain their story. We took a slower pace (3/4 weeks) and decided on myth hero characteristics (appearance, what objects he/she takes with him and why), mystical creatures features and 'ingredients for a magical myth' and used the story hill model to help with structuring it (some children had mini 'problems' within their quest) Lots of enthusiasm and imagination needed for this one!

5. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

Totally agree with this. My Yr 5s loved watching the stories.
    You could get them to create their own mythical creature. There is a good writing frame for this on Primary Resources. We did this in Yr 5 but could be easily adapted to suit lower year groups.