1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mystery payment from former employer

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by piglet171, May 31, 2019.

1. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

Has anyone else received a sudden payment from the council they formerly worked for?
    I retired last August and had received nothing from the council since, until a payment of £277 suddenly popped up dated today.

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

@piglet171 That will be the back pay from the pay award that was finally settled a few months ago. You left in August 18 but you are due the backdated pay rise as you were working from April 18 to August 18. That part of the 3 years deal was 3%.

Before other posters post about this not being right,this only applies to Scottish teachers and I know that Piglet was teaching in Scotland (as I am)

Startedin82 and bonxie like this.
  3. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

Thanks catmum, I was assuming that's what it was but didn't want to phone the council in case they asked for it back!! Forgot to mention it was Scotland too - sorry folks!
    Not long for you to go now catmum. I expect you are counting the days!

catmother likes this.
  4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Counting down the weeks with mixed feeling. On the one hand,I can't wait and I'm looking forward to be free from all the ********,on the other hand,annoyed that several things drove me to the decision (especially now we're getting a huge pay rise!).

Startedin82 likes this.
  5. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

How long did you work for them? It could be a long service award. I will be getting a payment in the £300s for 25 years, when I either leave the county or retire.
    "Huge pay rise" ? Have I missed something?

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It was the OP's backdated pay from the 3 year deal that has just been agreed in Scotland. 3% backdated from April 2018/ 7% from April 19 and 3% agreed from April 20. The OP left in August 18,therefore this is her backdated pay.

yodaami2 likes this.
  7. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Thank you, note to self read the posts mire carefully!

8. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

I would like to have worked another year but felt pressured into retirement.Now wild horses could not drag me back to my former school. I might still consider supply elsewhere, but at the moment can't quite bring myself to make the call.......If the "several things" are not likely to change, you have made the right decision.

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Ironically,one of the thing which was the catalyst changed (too late, as I already had put my notice). However,it was just the catalyst and there are many other things.Once you make the decision,you look at things and think "F...it,I can't be ar...with this crapola!"

I can't make my mind about supply either. It's apparently easier to put my name in my LA's list now,before I go but not sure if I can be bothered with the phone ringing as there is no way I want to work that much anyway.

10. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

Catmother, have 6 months before you decide about supply. Then see how you feel!. I decided not to!

Startedin82 likes this.
  11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

My gut feeling is that I probably do not want to do any supply,which is why I have not bothered feeling the form yet!

Startedin82 likes this.
  12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I meant filling the form!