1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mystery Fruit/Vegetable from Tescos

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by A_Teacher_Of_Computing, Feb 26, 2011.

1. This strange furry thing was purchased in the ethnic food section of Tescos...

[​IMG]

• its name begins with an E.
    • It feels quite solid and the texture on the non-furry bits could be described as woody
    • a faint sweet smell
    • The tip is a little broken and it seems to be a bright pink inside

Unless its a yam of some description I have no idea what it is or how to cook it, open to ideas.

2. This strange furry thing was purchased in the ethnic food section of Tescos...

[​IMG]

• its name begins with an E.
    • It feels quite solid and the texture on the non-furry bits could be described as woody
    • a faint sweet smell
    • The tip is a little broken and it seems to be a bright pink inside

Unless its a yam of some description I have no idea what it is or how to cook it, open to ideas.

3. I think it could be a variety of eddo!
    Peel it and boil it like potatoes.

4. Preparation

Preparation
    The hairy outer layer should be removed with caution since the skin can get irritated because of the juices of the eddo. This is why it is recommended to use protective rubber gloves when handling this root, although the toxin is destroyed by cooking or can be removed by steeping taro roots in cold water overnight. Then the eddo can be fried, baked, roasted, boiled, or steamed.

Consumption
    Eddo is always prepared before consuming it. This because in its raw form the plant is toxic. When cooked eddo has a nut-like flavour which tastes delicious in many dishes, such as soups and stews. Eddo is a good substitute for potatoes

When to eat
    Eddo should be firm, hairy and without any wrinkles. The root can best be stored in the refrigerator and consumed within one week.

5. And if you do all that it will be lovely!
    It's always a bit scary cos of the poisonous aspect but it is worth it for the novelty alone!
    We use it a few times a year, our first the nice lady in the shop prepared it for us, she ran a sort of master class for us! Great customer service that keeps us going back!

6. Thanks everyone, I'm really glad I came here first to ask about the mysterious furry Eddo... especially on learning its actually poisonous if not cooked correctly.

I look forward to seeing the DIY Fugu kits on the fish counter any day now.

7. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

And here is the original, easier to read version of stillsmiling's advice:
    http://www.naturespride.eu/our_products/product_detail/Eddo/