1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mysterious overpayment

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by cathr, Dec 15, 2018.

1. cathr

cathr Occasional commenter

Dear all, I would be grateful for your opinion on this strange situation: my agency sent me to a school for a full day as a cover supervisor (£70/ day) but paid me the teacher's rate (£125 for a full day/ £25 per lesson) without me asking. I don't think it was an error as I asked twice for confirmation of the rate. Any ideas what's going on? The agency is usually quite petty about rates, even cutting pay if I am due to cover only part of the day (ie reduction of £25 per lesson not covered).

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Just leave it. They have paid you and they are not complaining nor asking for it back.

les25paul and agathamorse like this.
  3. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I would just leave it, @cathr. It will make up for the future times you will be promised teachers' rate but only be paid as a CS.

les25paul, cathr and pepper5 like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Don't spend it yet !

Flanks and agathamorse like this.
  5. cathr

6. cathr

What I do not understand is the strategy of the agency.

7. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

I would agree with the other comments mentioned, but also say now't because they made a mistake and may not notice for some time, if at all. If they underpaid you they would say now't.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I doubt there's any strategy involved, just a simple admin error by the person who processed it. They may or may not discover their error. If they've charged the school the higher rate in error too the school will complain, the agency will realise their mistake, and probably ask for the overpayment back. Which they (and all employers) are entitled to do.

Flanks and JohnJCazorla like this.
  9. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

Don't say anything. After all, you are a teacher, not a cover supervisor, and should be paid as such!!

10. thewritingsupply

thewritingsupply Occasional commenter

I had this at the start of 2018 - I was on a short term assignment and was paid for the full week despite only doing two days a week. I kept quiet and it has never been mentioned.

11. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

@Rott Weiler is quite correct, if they contact you, you should pay it back. Note though it is not a simple calculation £125-£70 = £55.
    You have paid tax and NI (x2?) on that £55 so you should insist on a precise breakdown that covers this before you hand over your hard-(un)earned cash. Maybe the agency/UC will then decide it's not worth the effort, probably not though but you could at least make them work for it.

BetterNow and agathamorse like this.
  12. cathr

Turns out, it was not an error. Just the laws of market force: agencies locally appear to be short of teachers wanting to work near Christmas!

Flanks likes this.
  13. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I would complain to the Agency, if I were you.
    Honesty is the best policy - honestly.

14. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Schools and agencies need to be very precise in defining what a CS role is as opposed to that of a supply teacher. It's becoming prevalent to falsely describe a job as supervising when the role requires a person with subject/key stage or curriculum knowledge.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  15. JohnJCazorla

You can be certain that in Parents' evenings it will transpire that the little cherubs have had a teacher throughout. Also the agencies will be advertising the teachers that they offer, at a small discount (and then pay CS rates).

Lovely idea but won't happen whilst agencies control the communication between the supply and the school.

cathr and schoolsout4summer like this.
  16. cathr

I get a wee feeling that the agencies themselves are getting fed up of being taken for a ride by the schools. My agency is currently offering me more for CS work than they were in September... I am assuming they are also charging the schools more? What a murky business!

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  17. JohnJCazorla

If you're getting more it's because there aren't enough suckers teachers who will accept that level of peanuts at this time of year and the agency is losing some of its cut. Don't worry about the agency they'll reclaim their profit margin once work tails off around Easter.
    I also get that feeling but as it depends totally on what the agent is telling us I have a much stronger feeling that I'm being taken for a mug. After all the agent needs to boost his/her Easter Bonus and a few fivers a day will go a long way to fulfil that imperative.

cathr likes this.