1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MYP - Helping students improve in Criterion B (investigating)

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by lou1990lou, Feb 9, 2019.

1. lou1990lou

lou1990lou New commenter

Hello everybody.

I always get stuck when it comes to the question "How can [my child] improve in Criterion B?" when we have Parent-Teacher conferences.
    I make a point of saying the following (all of which are true and that I will continue to stand by)
    You need to be able to think about the connections between the numbers/algebra/working.
    You need to show your working in such a way that you can make those connections.
    (this is a new one) If your working isn't helping then experiment with how you show it/communicate it.

I've been telling them to look into how theorems they already know are proven (i.e find a Pythagoras proof, see how they start it and then finish it own your own. Check your answer against the proof you find).

I end up saying "It's not actually something I can teach you, but something you have to develop on your own".
    It puts a lot of onus on the students themselves, something I agree with, but the way a parent said it yesterday I felt very attacked, as this method of assessing is not what I would like to do.

Whilst I do deliver some lessons with inquiry in them, (index laws, quadratic formula from completing the square, formulae in coordinate geometry, angles in polygons etc) I dont feel I have time or resources to do this with every unit/lesson. I also find that there are so few resources out there for MYP and some of the other "investigations" are things which require knowledge that we have not yet taught/is too advanced OR the material is too easy for those year groups. Due to this, some of the lessons I would like to do in inquiry end up being the summatives we give because there just aren't any that are authentic enough for students to get assessed on.

2. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

I have also grappled with that question and there is no easy answer. It is a ridiculous assessment criteria, especially for KS3 and the IB organisation are not much help. That was my situation a few years ago. I feel much more comfortable with the English curriculum.

lou1990lou likes this.
  3. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  4. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

you can make use of

5. lou1990lou

lou1990lou New commenter

Yeah the "managing assessment in
    the MYP", which I was reaaaally excited a out was no use at all. Everyone tends to
    use the same kind of investigations … due to time and because of subject knowledge (in students) needing to be higher for the 'interesting' ones.

The making of such assessments have helped my teaching (and mathematical thinking) but I feel so sorry for the students having to give them as actual assessments.

Hmm i think i might have asked something like this before because I remember being given this resource. Thanks!!