1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MYP exam Cancellation and Non awarding of Eassessment grades

Discussion in 'International Baccalaureate' started by stuskam, May 30, 2020.

1. stuskam

stuskam New commenter

I write as an extremely angry headteacher who is dumbfounded by the IBO decision not to award MYP Eassessment grades to the MYP graduates of 2020.
    Internationally, this may not cause too many concerns, in the UK however, this is creating a series of long lasting negative experiences and disadvantages for my students.
    Imagine applying for a 6th form college and having NO certification to show grades in Maths, English, Science or Humanities.
    Imagine applying for a Bachelors course with NO certification in English, Maths, Science or Humanities,
    Imagine applying for a postgrad or medical degree....you see where I am going with this.
    The IBO has made a callous and thoughtless decision with no regard for the impact it is having on the students.
    Is this reversible and how do I go about getting this done?

2. yasf

yasf Established commenter

odd post. Considering the same has happened with GCSE/ IGCSE, A level and IB (not to mention French Bac, German Abitur etc etc), I find your complaint oddly precise for a headteacher.

3. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

I'm sure the 6th form colleges, univerisities and medical schools are aware of the situation this year and will adapt their entry procedures to suit.

Maybe try contacting some of your local 6th form colleges for guidance?

I certainly wouldn't want your panic to be passed on to students and/or their parents who are finding this whole thing stressful enough

yasf likes this.
  4. stuskam

stuskam New commenter

I am not sure what is odd about my post and whether my complaint being oddly precise is an insult to headteachers.
    For me the situation is clear students in the UK will receive grades for GCSE and will therefore have evidence of Maths, English, Sciences and Humanities to show on any applications for anything in the future.
    IB school students who sat and studied for the same 2 years will not receive grades for English, Maths, Sciences or Humanities.
    The reason for this disadvantage is solely down to the IBO.
    The reason no one really knows this is because the IBO did not announce it, but rather amended a paragraph on a document on their website.

5. stuskam

stuskam New commenter

Hi Colacao (used to love that as a child growing up in Spain!)
    As the head I have a choice, don't tell the students and parents about the decision and let them find out when they receive their results for coursework, or tell them now so that they can take whatever action they need to do to lobby or to plan alternatives.
    6th form colleges and universities are very aware now, but will they be so aware in 2 or 3 years time? Will employers be aware that the class of MYP Eassessment courses were not awarded grades? I think this is unlikely.
    What is being thrust upon my students is a lifelong disadvantage and, in my totally biased and subjective opinion as they are my students, is entirely unfair and entirely avoidable.

6. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Just had a look and there are only 15 schools in the UK that offer the IB MYP, of those around half are more American in nature so wouldn't face the same issues (they will all just use their transcripts as usual). I can see why it would be annoying, but given how the vast majority of MYP schools operate, I can see how the IBO overlooked your situation.

One thing I found interesting was your choice of the four US 'core subjects', rather than the three British 'core subjects' or five 'ebacc subjects'. Are you in fact in one of the more American schools ?