1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MyMaths website

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by FenellaF, May 22, 2011.

1. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Hi, does any primary school subscribe to this, and if so would you recommend it? I have been having a look, and it looks fab, but I don't know if the school would commit to shelling out £200+

Thanks.

2. Most responses wll be positive and there are large numbers subscribing.
    It certainly has its strengths but (just IMO) should be used to assist teaching and learning rather than the way its sometimes used.
    Bang for buck £200 is good value in comparison to some other departmental spending.

3. I think it's great for supporting students and their families - online lessons, booster packs to complete, worksheets with immediate feedback, personal log ins and tracking of students. It's not perfect, but it's the best I've seen.

4. Best or only?
    I think when the real tech guys get into the market mymaths will be made to look very average. I still prefer the MEP/Plymouth/CIMT resources for in school ICT lessons purely based on content quality. With mymaths many pupils gravitate to the games at the en of each topic and often dont even understand what they were meant to have learned.
    Saying that, there are great visual resources to help on mymaths.

5. Best (I've seen).

6. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

ditto (I'm secondary)

7. Really?

I have not found that at all

But then my students use it independently for the most part ... the A level stuff released recently is really good

At primary level I would have thought that the main use would be helping parents to
    understand what their children are doing

8. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Currently, mymaths beats the opposition, both on price and quality, by a country mile. However, it would be churlish to leave students on it, unsupervised, for substantial periods of time! I use it occasionally in class, such as for homework (about once a term), and as a means of allowing students revision time. It is also a good package to use, every now and then, with our Year 10 C/D borderliners some of whom opt for an additional lesson of maths. It has some good interactive stuff for whole class demonstrations. Like all activities, it is necessary to supervise students closely so that they stay on task. Establish rules clearly from the start and games won't come into it: I rarely have issues with students using them out of turn. However, the games are often good to use in maths club, and can lighten up an end of term lesson.
    None of that is to say, however, that it is the all-in-one teaching solution which allows us to put out feet up and watch the kids go about their learning. Perhaps one day, I'll live to eat these words, but I doubt if there will ever be such a package.

9. afterdark

afterdark Established commenter

My school has mymaths and mathletics.
    The younger children seem to engage well with mathletics.
    The world maths day that mathletics organise helps.
    Also the school have spellodrome an extra with mathletics which the children seem to engage in well also.
    There have been some quite staggering outputs from a small subsection of pupils. Great progress from pupils with supportive parents.
    Subcribing would depend upon how many of your parents are on the net and how much PC time you can get for you children [students].
    Choose wisely.

10. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

A couple of thoughts:
    1) It usually seems that most of the posters on here are secondary, so you may not get many primary responses. [I am also a secondary teacher.]
    2) Is there enough useful material for primary to justify buying this? For example, if the L3 material is really written for and aimed at low-attaining secondary pupils then will be be appropriate for Y4 pupils?
    3) Do your local secondary schools use it? If so, it might be nicer to explore alternatives (such as mathletics) so when the pupils get to secondary school they will have something new and exciting to use and won't feel that they have seen it all already. [On a similar note, some people got very excited about using Bowland 1 with Y5 and Y6 - it only seems fair to do this if you have checked with the local secondary schools to ensure they don't use the same tasks.]
    4] As it happens I don't like much of the explanation, so I wouldn't advise it particularly from a maths point of view (but I know lots of other people who do rate it, so I may well be wrong ...).

11. I love the books/pdf files ... but what are the ICT resources? Perhaps I need to go back to the website and have a look around, as I wasn't aware of there being any sort of interactive aspect to their content.
    In terms of the OP, nothing really to add over and above the comments so far. Some great resources, but not to be over-relied on. I didn't realise they had a primary section, but looking at the site just now it appears they do.

12. I hadn't really come across the MEP/Plymouth/CIMT materials until Betamale pointed them out on here. I would be the first to agree with him that the quality of writing on those resources is second to none. A little dry in format in places but the people who made them clearly had a good grasp of how to explain mathematics to children, something which many other resources singularly fail to grasp.

Mymaths as a classroom presentation tool? Really? Are you folks joking? Again thanks to Betamale I discovered their Circle Theorem section, which seems pretty good. Most of the other things are for the bin.

For me, Mymaths explanations fall between two stones: they are neither good enough for pupils to follow easily on their own and nor are they easy to teach from. And as to how they introduce topics? I was working on the Cosine Rule the other day and thought I'd give Mymaths a try. They intro the Cosine Rule by saying 'Here's a big scary formula' and then proceed to show you how to put the numbers in. Well I can write that on my IWB without any difficulty.

As far as I can see, MyMaths is great for anybody who

a Doesn't like marking homework

b Has no clue how to explain maths

c Is struggling to find something to put on their VLE and so they just link to Mymaths and job done.

But it has sold incredibly well, according to their website they have over 5000 people signed up so they are raking in £millions from it.

I'm sure that as with any resource there must be good bits to it, just I've not found them yet but perhaps that because it doesn't fit in with how I like to teach.

13. fieldextension

fieldextension New commenter

IMO it is usually a mistake to use MyMaths to teach. How can a non-responsive computer compare with an experienced teacher? Mymaths is a useful revision tool for use at home and for occasional use as part of a homework to reinforce what happened in class. Used properly it is helpful. Some explanations are better than others, but then it is down to the teacher to direct students as to which parts of it they should be making use of.

14. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Several of their widgets are pretty good - transformation of fuctions srpings to memory, with sliders that are used to change the various variables.
    Autograph is better, but only if you have an up to date version which not everyone has..

15. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

I think you answered your own question there. If you seriously think I use mymaths in the classroom every lesson by blindly starting at the beginning and finishing at the end then the joke is on you...!
    But, yes, like your circle theorems discovery, and the functions bit, and a few other things - their graphical presentation of things is sometimes quite useful, and worth sharing with the class. In a similar way, I sometimes use boardworks stuff. However, as always, I pick and choose. If a package offers something that can enhance an explanation, find a way of incorporating it. If not, then don't.
    Years ago, I remember trying to teach cumulative frequency graphs on blackboards. These days, ICT packages make these things so much easier to teach...