1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mymaths equivalent for science

Discussion in 'Science' started by jjcymru, Jul 11, 2012.

1. I am looking to implement online assessment within the faculty, mymaths looks brilliant is there anything similar to it to support GCSE/KS3 Science?

2. I am looking to implement online assessment within the faculty, mymaths looks brilliant is there anything similar to it to support GCSE/KS3 Science?

3. there is one, my son's school use it will ask him when he gets home!

4. Educake

Educake New commenter

We launched Educake last month which does this and works on smartphones and tablets. You can get a three month free trial for your department and students at our website.

In the interests of some impartiality, you might want to look at SAM learning and I am Learning also, though I think these are whole school licences.

5. You could try Playbrighter.com - interactive, create your own characters, use their quizzes or create your own. It will mark/level and can be used individually or in teams.

6. hcb

hcb New commenter

We tried myworks this year which is, I think, the same idea as mymaths. [myworks.co.uk]
    You can set homework and it is marked online.
    It sounded great but we have dropped it after one year. The internet at school is useless and it took a long time to log on, check a test, set the homework and then check the marks later - quicker to set a written homework and mark it. We thought the students would like it but they are doing this in maths already (mymaths) so the novelty has worn off.

7. Sadly, we had the same problem with myworks, it was very slow when used in school.

8. Chrissi T

Chrissi T New commenter

At a previous school we used yacapaca a lot (it was free!). I know there have a been a lot of changes to it recently, so not sure how it is now (not in UK atm) but might be worth a look.

9. We've just published Doddle (www.doddlelearn.co.uk) which is a more advanced version of MyWorks (and includes teaching resources and worksheets as well as homework and assessment quizzes). If you'd like to find out more or would like someone to come and demo it in your school, please let me know!

10. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

FWIW, kids hate mymaths - at least they hate being set homework on it.

Those who won't do homework anyway just ignore it and say they couldn't log in or the internet was down at home or give any other excuse and it's difficult to challenge them all the time. Those who do homework actually do have real experiences of the internet going down but mostly their problem is mymaths is "all or nothing".

That is, an answer is either 100% right or its wrong. Not chance of partial credit for working out, no way for the teacher to give feedback that addresses actual problems as no working out is available.

(FWIW, mymaths is identified, though not by name) in the most recent Ofsted report on maths teaching and it's pretty much blasted by them - all for very good reasons.)

What mymaths does do well is:

<ol>
    [*]It provides animations, tools and some very useful explanations that can be very useful for extensions and revision
    [*]It ticks the box if you have a school policy of "at least x marked homeworks every week".
    </ol>
    So, all in all, I'm not sure you should be looking for a mymaths equivalent for science.

11. hali99

hali99 New commenter

what software is used to design these?

12. PurpleSapphire

PurpleSapphire New commenter

Have used Alfiecloud/Alfiesoft for online testing, and SAM Learning for homework/revision.

13. Orion

Orion New commenter

We have Educake this term and it is good. I looked at it a while back and it was still a bit basic, but they have really done some good work and it is great, kids love it.

14. huggyberah

huggyberah New commenter

15. nernstlaw

nernstlaw New commenter

doddle or kerboodle

16. rje102

rje102 New commenter

Educake

17. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I agree with PaulDG about mymaths. I am a tutor but sometimes get asked to help with homework. We often waste a lot of time in the lesson while they try to log on, but the main problem is the answer is either right or wrong with no other feedback. I have difficulty persuading some students that it is important to show their working and that they will get marks for this in the exam, even if the final answer is wrong. Some of the questions are OK but others are very difficult and fiddly to do on the screen, for example solving simultaneous equations by drawing lines on a graph. It was almost impossible to draw the lines accurately and the scale was too small to get an accurate answer.

In science most students seem to find the 6 mark questions, where they have to do a lot of writing, the most difficult and and a mymaths equivalent would not help with that.