1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MyMaths access from other than a PC

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by elrond, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Although I don't own a games console, or an iPad, iPhone, iAnything, many of my pupils do. They are beginning to bleat that they can't do their MyMaths homework due to lack of a PC, and I know that it is possible to access the internet from a games console, I was wondering if anyone knew if you could successfully log in to MyMaths on a console.

They only non-PC device I have tried it on is an Android phone, and the pupil login does not appear to work for me. I would love to know if it could be accessed from an XBox, PS3, iPhone, etc

If anyone can shed any light, that would be great....

2. Although I don't own a games console, or an iPad, iPhone, iAnything, many of my pupils do. They are beginning to bleat that they can't do their MyMaths homework due to lack of a PC, and I know that it is possible to access the internet from a games console, I was wondering if anyone knew if you could successfully log in to MyMaths on a console.

They only non-PC device I have tried it on is an Android phone, and the pupil login does not appear to work for me. I would love to know if it could be accessed from an XBox, PS3, iPhone, etc

If anyone can shed any light, that would be great....

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

not sure about consoles.
    Around here ALL libraries offer free internet access.

4. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

iPads don't support Flash, which is presumably the problem. It's enough of a problem that they'll presumably try and fix it at some point, but that doesn't help with families who are switching to iPads now.
    Presumably there is some access to computers within school at lunchtime...

5. maths126

maths126 New commenter

The regular browser (Safari) on iPads is not Flash compliant but other Flash-enabled browser apps are available. I have just been trying MyMaths on the iPad with a browser called Photon and it works fine.

6. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Another Chrome fan here it's certainly my first choice (agree with Nazard - not for TES forums, other forums too - I never use it for creating posts on our Moodle forums for example).
    Firefox next.
    IE third - though a few sites where it seems necessary to use it.

7. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

seems to work okay for me on Android...not that I'd want to do it on my phone, but I could!

8. I use Photon on my Ipad to get round the Flash problems. However, I still can't get onto mymaths. When I log on, I get a messgae saying "This page requires Adobe's Flash Player in order to work. You can download it from here for your mobile device".
    Anyone got any idea of any solutions? I'd really like to be able to access this on my Ipad for a lesson observation.
    Thanks. [​IMG]

9. 007maths

007maths New commenter

10. Fantastic! Just downloaded Rover and it's working perfectly with mymaths.
    Thank you very much indeed. [​IMG]

11. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Your pupils have a valid point. If they don't have access to a computer then they can't do their homework. Getting them to do it via a console is just barmy, are you seriously expecting them to sit with their PS3 and a sheet of paper, working out the answers then using their PS3 controller to input the answers? Madness. Give them some questions and an exercise book, and tell them to go away and answer them. MyMaths is just a homework solution for lazy teachers.

12. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Hmm....

Sometimes it's a homework solution for overworked teachers trying to survive a "whole school directive" that homework must be set ever other lesson. (Or "twice a week for core subjects")

Fine for the SLT members teaching 3 lessons a week. Simply not possible for maths teachers seeing 250 kids a week - not being able to collect, mark and return 500 marked homeworks a week isn't a symptom of a "lazy" teacher. It's one that actually has some sleep!

nvanlimbeek likes this.
  13. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Or another way of looking at it: it's a way to get some drill and practice done and marked with minimal teacher time, allowing the teacher to spend more time planning better lessons.
    It's bad if used all the time, it's bad if the task is inappropriate, it's bad if the teacher never looks at the results to see who struggled or fails to respond where they did.
    But hey, if what you want to do is consolidate and check the learning in the lesson, and there's a MyMaths task which does just that, why use a textbook or worksheet?

nvanlimbeek likes this.
  14. Thanks so much. I am just about to launch the of my maths at my school and parents have asked about the iPad. Just downloaded rover and it works a treat. This has saved me a lot of time. Thanks :))

15. How did you get it to work on android? I just tried and it won't work for me.
    Did you have to install another app or anything?

16. Here here!!
    I find I am beginning to agree with you more and more. Am I you ?

17. pgrass

pgrass New commenter

I have recently managed to abolish MyMaths in my department. I agree with those who said it is abused by lazy teachers. You could physically see the panic in those teachers' eyes when they were informed of the news.

18. Have you unsubscribed completely or just not allowed it to be set for homework?
    Some of our pupils use it a lot on their own to revise for tests and exams and they find it really helpful. Also, as teachers we use it during lessons on the interactive whiteboard and find it invaluable. e.g.some of the matching exercises can be used as starters or plenaries.
    I'm glad I'm not in your Department!

19. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Funny old world.

In any other sphere of activity, managers look for ways to reduce the workload of their staff.