1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mykonos

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BertieBassett2, Aug 19, 2019.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I am going to Mykonos with my older daughter in September for a few days. I'm aware it's very expensive as Greek Islands go and wonder if anyone has any tips to keep our spending to a minimum. TIA

2. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Can you self cater at all? That helps, even if it's just breakfast and lunches so no real cooking.

What kinds of things do you tend to spend money on? I'll try and think of more relevant ideas if I can.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  3. BertieBassett2

Thanks, PC - yes we are self catering. It's not quite a 'fly and flop' holiday. The reason we're going is for my daughter to attend a friend's wedding (just to echo @Shedman 's thread!) However, all I want on holiday is a beach and plenty of food and we will no doubt buy breakfast and lunch provisions. Do you know if sunbeds and beach umbrellas are especially expensive?

4. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Not sure about there but generally I've found them to be 20 euros plus for 2 beds and an umbrella for the day. It's often more expensive for the front rows so you can save money by asking for ones at the back of the beach.

5. BertieBassett2

That's helpful, thanks.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Whever we go abroad for self-catering holidays in beach resorts, there are always beach mats, beach umbrellas and folding chairs/loungers in the accommodation. Some was provided by the owners and some was probably left by previous holidaymakers.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Do not change money at the airport! The rates are shocking. I got the best rate from Thomas Cook earlier this year when I went to Spain for a Spanish wedding. M&S and the Post Office were a close second. I also withdraw local currency (never accept the ATM bank doing the £ calculation/currency exchange) using my Visa Debit card.

Dragonlady30 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  8. BertieBassett2

Thanks, Jubilee!

9. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Why do you need a sunbed and an umbrella? Take a towel and lie on the beach and when you get too hot go into the shade. I can never understand why people hire them.

10. BertieBassett2

I’m afraid they’re a must for me on the beach!

alison_wain12 likes this.
  11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

A towel on the sand is fine, for a while, if all you want to do is sunbathe. A chair or lounger is better if you want to read.