1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Myanmar !

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Figmo, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm beyond excited to have an interview for an excellent leadership role in a British international school in Myanmar next week.

My research tells me Myanmar is an awesome place to live, but aside from TEFL I cant find much info regarding working in international schools.

Anyone got any useful nuggets of info to help ensure I'm making the right decision taking this leap? (If I get the job, of course!)

Thanks

2. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Just had a quick look on *** and nothing posted about any 'British' Intl School there - no news is good news?? Good luck with the interview!

Figmo likes this.
  3. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

It's a fairly new school so maybe that's why? Thank you for your well wishes and checking that out for me. I'm so keen for this role. The prospect of moving abroad is well exciting!

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

catmother likes this.
  5. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

I'm aware of the atrocities commited against the Rohinga Muslims in an different part of the country.

I will reword it: Contextually, as a British teacher moving abroad, my research tells me it is an awesome place to live.

I'm not posting on here for a political debate/lecture regarding the ethical implications of working there. Thanks!

6. spanboy

If you get offered the job, go for it. I left the UK in 2006/7 and have never looked back! One thing that COULD ring alarm bells to me might be the fact that they could be prepared to fill a leadership position with a person with no International experience (irrespective of your UK experience and ability). Please, this is not meant to cause offense, honestly. Even if there turns out to be problems at the school, use it positively as a stepping stone into the International world and move on if need be!

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  7. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

Spanboy - absolutely no offense taken! I will bear this in mind once I have all the other info I gather at the interview. Apart from a peruse of the school website/prospectus and the job description I have very little else to go on at the moment. So we shall see!

spanboy likes this.
  8. spanboy

Good luck and hope all goes well!

Figmo likes this.
  9. lolly77

lolly77 New commenter

I live and work in Yangon if you've got any specific questions?

Figmo likes this.
  10. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

Lolly77 thank you !! I have read that the people in Myanmar are extremely friendly and welcoming to foreigners, would you agree with this?

Do you have teacher accomodation? If so, is it a decent enough standard?

Are you in an International school? If so, how are you finding it?

Basically, do you love it living/working there? :)

11. lolly77

lolly77 New commenter

Yeah I'd agree with that! They're very keen to ask you questions, and if you learn a bit of Burmese they love that you're trying!

At my current school, no. At my previous school in Yangon, yes. But personally we much prefer our current situation of having found our own apartment. Finding housing is so easy and there's something for everyone's budget, so don't worry about that.

I've worked in two international schools in Yangon, but know people from almost all the others. I love my current school and am glad I made the move to this one. Some others are not happy places to work, and I couldn't recommend them. I'll send you a private conversation about that.

I've enjoyed my time here so far ...there's plenty of travel opportunities and traveling within Myanmar has been wonderful. There are things that frustrate me, like the chanting on the streets and the betel spitting, but you get annoyances anywhere. There's a decent expat crowd, lots of gyms, brunches, pools, shopping etc, so you're never short of things to do.

Hope this helps!

12. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

Lolly sounds wonderful - apart for the betel -YUCK!!!!!!! But yeah, if that's as bad as it gets I'm sure I will get over it haha

Thanks so much