1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Myanmar offer: package, schools and lifestyle advice please

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by sincerious, Apr 14, 2017.

1. sincerious

sincerious New commenter

I'm considering a move to Yangon and have some questions:

Looking at offers for Cambridge/WASC or close accredited schools, any recent experience at them? As in are any good/safe/enjoyable? Reviews aren't great but after discussing concerns with the principals it sounds like they are moving forward. Anyone with insight? Looking for adventure not drama and stress.

Secondly, as a single person how much can I save on $26,000? How much is tax on average - school says 4% but employment info site says 20%?
    They aren't offering shipping, should I request it?

Anymore useful information welcome as it's a big decision away from countries I'm used to but also an area with huge adventure possibilites.

2. AlexMiddleton

AlexMiddleton New commenter

That salary does seem quite low. Can't comment on tax but surely they are providing accommodation? A friend spent two years over there (not in teaching) and he said the accommodation was just silly in terms of high prices. He loved the experience and chose the simple life. Good luck!

3. sincerious

sincerious New commenter

Yes either school provided housing or a housing allowance of about $600.
    What would be a good Myanmar salary then with 3 years experience?

4. simon43

simon43 New commenter

I have been teaching in Myanmar since 2012 (Yangon, Mandalay and Naypyidaw).

In Yangon, the accommodation costs are rather high (shortage of rented accommodation of a suitable quality). $600 should cover for a one-bedroom condo. However, your school should also manage all utility bills for you, since some utility offices demand more money when a 'Westerner' comes to pay the bill, (or even refuse to process the bill unless you pay more money).

$26,000 is about $2,100 per month. That is rather low for Yangon and a teacher with some experience. I would expect about $30,000, and that is after all taxes have been paid. (The school should be paying all taxes on your behalf).

How much can you save? How long is a piece of string? :) Yangon has an increasing number of nice cafes, restaurants and bars in which to spend your hard-earned cash. I work in the city of Naypyidaw, which doesn't yet offer such entertainment delights. I save 90% of my salary, but that's just me. YMMV.

Most areas of Yangon are very safe, but the traffic in Yangon can be very bad (due to an increase in car ownership, current roadworks to upgrade the roads/build new flyovers/underpasses etc). You should try to find accommodation within walking distance of your school if you can.

In summary, you either love or hate Myanmar. I will say from experience that younger teachers seem to move on to new employment after only 1 year. The reasons cited to me have all been down to culture shock (the schools, students etc have been great, but the day-to-day living has come as rather a shock, if compared to working somewhere like Thailand, Malaysia etc). Bear in mind that Myanmar is one of the poorest countries in Asia, and facilities, infrastructure and sanitation may be well below your expectations.