1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

my year 5 children are so horrible to each other!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by scoobyhen, Feb 5, 2012.

1. my class as a cohort have gone through our school notoriously being horrid to each other, there ia a core of boys/girls who just fall out,argue, sometimes fight - pushing and shoving (not seriously but still unacceptable) tell tales, knock each others pencil baskets off tables discretely enough that you cannot always pinpoint who it is! There is lots of other things that are all small and minor but so depressing i have tried lots of things to improve their relationships team games, working together on projects, circle time and was just wondering if anyone had been in a similar situation and had any tried and tested ideas i am willing to try most things! lol Please help x

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

You're half way through the year. Grit your teeth and pass them on.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Mine are just the same[​IMG]

Trouble is, I teach 5/6 so will have them next year too[​IMG]

4. Had a class like this previously and parents unfortunately did a lot to reinforce the divisions by their own behaviour and comments. Not sure I can think of anything you've probably not tried already.

5. Mine are very similar, they are so sulky too! You only have to say one thing wrong/ someone else says one thing wrong, or looks at them wrong or they have to share a piece of paper and you have lost them to a sulk. Some of the in particular then are very hard to get back into a working mood again. Drives me mad!

6. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I had a 'class of personality conflicts' - my boss asked me to do circle time with them after every playtime/lunchtime until they were a more cohesive unit. Took a long time, (they were in Y4), but we got there in the end, and they went on to do really well. You have my sympathies.

7. thank you everyone i feel better that it isn't just me! Hya Clear Air what type of things did you do in circle time to improve the cohesion of your class? I am happy to do play and lunch sessions if i need to, the trouble is they are so poor level 2 low 3 and i have half year 4 who are higher level 3 some level 4 and they are much nicer to each other too!

8. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I didn't give them any 'activities' as such - I just gave them the opportunity to talk, and resolve conflicts. I basically told them that the circle time was a chance for them to say either something really good or something that was bad at playtime, and explained that they could only talk when they were holding - I think it was a whiteboard pen, to be honest!!
    There were some really lovely kids in that class, but also some very odd ones; and the lovely kids came up trumps and affirmed people, and they were able to talk about difficult behaviour in a way that they felt (I hope) was safe. I listened, and helped them to sort out what the misunderstandings generally were. They did rely on me being there, though, as problems generally happened at dinner time. We, the staff that is, used to go tot he pub for a rushed lunch on a Friday, but I had to give up going, coz my class were always a nightmare if they knew that I wasn't in the school!
    I can't remember how long I did it for - but I know that once I started I didn't stop until they left me at the end of the summer term. They went on to get really good results in the SATs, and I don't think they'd have been able to do it if they hadn't had all that social input.
    I have to say, though, that my boss asked me to do it, and I found it quite stressful because it ate so much into lesson time. But then, she told me not to worry about it, and to take the bigger picture. She was a great boss. I miss her!