1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My work load solution does not compute...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Oldfashioned, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Head of department just collared me: "OF your y8 books, 6 of them aren't marked."

"I'll mark them later, my allocated time for marking ran out before I got to those 6."

Confused look, scratched head "allocated time?"

"Yes, my contract states I should do a 'reasonable' amount of work. After a full day at school my reasonable is 1 hour. The hour ended, my marking ended. The 6 book will be done in the next hour."

The utter shock from her as she walked away stuttering was hilarious.

2. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

Problem with most teachers is that they want to be loved and admired. Marking until 7PM 6 days a week will get your books looking lovely, but not improve anything an ounce. I work 40 hours a week. What I get done in those 40 hours is what I get done. If they want more, they can damn well pay me for it.

3. thin_ice

thin_ice Occasional commenter

Fiction. It’s what you’d wish you said.

simonCOAL and install like this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

It is the biggy. Great killer answer.And many schools are too scared to find out:How long does it take to mark one book? And:
    Why do some teachers with less marking have the same time as teachers with more?

Some schools that reckon they run like businesses are telling porky pies when it comes to time for marking and what is 'reasonable'.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

Good on yer, Bobbbs.

agathamorse and install like this.
  6. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Wish I’d said it. It’s the sort of thing I think of about a week after the event.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

To be fair some slt do it all the time:

Teaching does not compute
    Challenging students does not compute
    Doing as they say does not compute

So its good to bounce it back at em:)

agathamorse likes this.
  8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I love you

agathamorse likes this.
  9. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Thank you. It isn't the first time I've had to explain to managers that I value my free time and won't be bullied into excessive work.