1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My weight

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lilachardy, Feb 21, 2011.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Some children will call you names regardless. Children laugh at people regardless of how they look.

I think you might need to develop some self confidence rather than worry too much about your weight.

How much do you want to lose?

2. Thanks for answering me, I want to lose about 4 stone, yes this is a LOT!!! I just love food, I weigh 14 1/2 stone and am a big comfort eater, just eat too much and like fatty and sugary things, hate vegetables, so got into bad habits at uni, everyone says I would get laughed at being a teacher so it puts me off. I would just feel very ashamed if this happened to me.

3. I think you need to get some new friends!
    What a load of b*ll*cks.

4. There are teachers in school much more overweight than this. Whether they have problems with students is not connected to their size, but rather their confidence and teaching ability.
    As Lil says children will 'pick' on teachers (and each other and anybody else) for anything. They also tend to 'bully' teachers they do not value or respect (wrong as I know that is before anyone else jumps down my throat) more than those they respect. If you know your subject and can teach effectively students can be friendly and supportive despite all sorts of 'oddities' which might be picked on in other people.
    I would however support Lil in saying you need to build your confidence levels first. Children can smell fear, and if you go in expecting to be bullied then you probably will be. Teachers need a thick skin as some children will always not like you (when you teach upwards of 300 there is no way every one will like you!). You need to be able to take their comments with a pinch of salt and a sense of humour, which you will not be able to do if you lack self-confidence. I speak here as someone who at one time was called 'burgerqueen' by some of the nastier kids - and raised a laugh from the nice ones when I pointed out that depite not eating burgers I rather liked that they understood my true status as a member of the royalty.
    Perhaps investigate some counselling to raise your self-esteem. Teaching is a hard job, with little appreciation from management or colleagues and immense pressures. To cope with these you really will need some resilience, and a low self-esteem will easily lead you to percieve every slight as a personal criticism, even when it may just be an oversight due to time pressures etc.

5. Maybe its just me, but 14 1/2 stone doesnt seem that much? Unless you are 3 foot tall or something...!
    Honestly though, if you feel that uncomfortable sign up for your teacher training and then try and set starting your training as a goal date to lose some of it (not all 4 stone, obviously!) I've just joined the weightwatchers online thing and its brilliant, in my opinion. It does all the calculations for you and its only £10 a month (much less than meetings).
    If you started training in september you have got 6 months. The average weightloss is 2 pounds a week so if you started now you could have lost more than 3 stone by then, quite realistically.
    Also when you start training/work you wont have time to eat anyway so that'll keep it off. [​IMG]

6. 1. 4st is a lot but not undoable -someone on here has lost 5 already. I am losing at a sedate 2lb a week and so you could be shot of all yours without too much pain within a year.
    2. So you lose the weight - if you have any other feature that isn't like Beyonce's or Cheryl Cole's they will still find it unless you are over 50, in which case they will admire you for still being able to walk.
    3. If coments regarding your physical appearance bother you, seriously consider whether teaching, where your entire psyche will be laid oin the line at six week inetrvals and picked to bits, is really for you.
    4. Don't bae a career choice or indeed anything else in your life on how you think other peoplethink you shoudl look, unless you are ging in for designer end modelling.

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Ok - so I've lost 4 stone and have about 5 to go for "ideal" BMI.

In 10 years I've heard 2 comments about my weight. I think I can cope... I'd love to be at 14.5 stone...

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

In case correct information matters...
    "IT’S GREAT VALUE:

Switch to Monthly Pass today, and you’ll pay just £12.95 for your first
    month, meaning that it will cost you on average, just £2.99 a week* -
    offering you great value for money.

After your first month, you’ll pay the standard monthly rate (currently
    £19.99) until you cancel. That’s the equivalent of just £4.61 a week* -
    so you’ll continue to save money on the standard meeting fee, week
    after week, month after month!"
    http://www.weightwatchers.co.uk/monthlypass/MpSwitch.aspx

9. well, the *correct information* I have on my email receipt is:
    Subscription:
    Amount charged:
    £29.85
    At the end of your 3 month payment plan, your subscription will be automatically renewed at the standard monthly rate (currently £10.95) until you notify us.
    ?

10. Flowerpot, IT IS £10 a month as I do it too. Think Serendipity was on about the meetings.
    But I agree.... the online is much better (and cheaper!) I tried the meetings and hated it - women there so bitchy and competitive!
    Are you doing well on the diet? I am on Week 6 and have lost 13lbs so far!

11. I found that about meetings too. Much prefer online, although i have to remember to be honest and not *forget* to add everything in, especially the alcohol! Never eaten so much fruit in my life as the last two weeks though, cause its all free! :) I'm only on week 2 so far so only lost 3lb last week and hoping for 2 this week - but wow, well done on 13lb!

12. As previous posters have said, not everyone will like you and those who don't will find something to criticise anyway, so you weight does not really matter. I know a teacher who at 5' 5" weighs over 20 st. but kids like him and he does not have a problem re. his weight at all.
    Re. WW. you don't need to join anything online for £10 or whatever: put the data into an Excel table and you can calculate everything, have your graphs, etc. The formula to calculate your WW points is online, the pouints are on the foods, it's £10 wasted. However, if you really must joing something online, join Food Focus, it does everything and it's free. http://www.foodfocus.co.uk/
    To the OP: there is a "lose more than 3 st" thread here with lots of great advice.