1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My Wedding - Interview

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Newstarter19, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Newstarter19

Newstarter19 New commenter

Hey

I'm new as a member to this site but have seen many useful posts as a guest, I'm wondering if somebody could help me out please?

I'm currently looking to get into education, long term as a learning mentor but to get my foot in the door I'm going through admin.

I have an interview on Monday at a Primary school and I'm not sure at what point is best to bring up my wedding. It's on 23rd September this year so annoyingly just a couple of weeks after schools go back and the start date but we booked and paid for it before either of us were working in education.

My fiance has been granted the week off because we're away for a few days after with it being up in Scotland so I'll also be needing the week off.

When and how is it best to mention this? I'm fully aware that I wouldn't be paid for the week and potentially not the day. How will this impact me and is it likely they'll not consider me for the role because of it? It's for an administrator/receptionist, 20 hours per week.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It may be easier to get the time off as you are in admin, albeit unpaid. It will be at the head's discretion. Most often people ask the question about going to friends' weddings, but this is own (congratulations by the way!) so hopefully the head will be willing to allow time off.

It's important you mention it before accepting the job. I wouldn't raise it right at the beginning, wait until the interview. At the end of the interview you'll probably be asked if you'd accept the job if offered, or if there any questions you want ask. That's the time to raise it.

3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Mention it earlier, but I think most employers would allow a holiday booked and paid for before the job was on the cards. A wedding is usually booked even further in advance.
    Congratulations. And good luck at the interview.

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Mention it at the end of the interview but with the understanding that it’s likely to be unpaid. I’ve known colleagues allowed holidays which were prebooked before applying for the post. It shouldn’t make a difference unless it’s the only difference between you and another candidate. Unlikely.

5. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

We arranged our wedding and later discovered my husband had to go on an important course. It didn't matter. We were married on Saturday, enjoyed Sunday and he started his course on Monday. We've been married for 51 years this year, so survived quite well. We've had lots of holidays since to make up for missing that one.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. JosieWhitehead

PS: I mentioned this because I thought your wedding was on a Saturday as many are, to enable working guests to arrive. If so, you don't have a problem do you?

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Newstarter19

Our wedding is on a Monday

8. Newstarter19

Thank you everybody for the congratulations and advice. I'll make sure to mention that when asked if I have any questions.

I don't know if I'll need to start a new thread for this but could you also help me with something else please? The problem I've been having at interviews is lack of experience in a school setting, even though I have 2 years experience as a receptionist at other businesses. How do I sell that the skills I picked up are transferrable and in my opinion (please tell me if I'm wrong) means I'll be able to do the job just as well as somebody who has been in schools for years? It's frustrating that jobs are always given to those with experience even if I have every skill on their person specification plus the passion.

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I don't think it should be a problem. They will be looking for someone efficient and capable. People skills will be important because you'll be a part of a team, and an important first contact for parents and visitors to the school. Specific school experience will not be an essential requirement I don't think. Slap your best smile on and ooze confidence. The wedding thing shouldn't get in the way if they think you are the right person for the job.

10. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Totally not a problem. Especially in admin. But like people say, it may be that you have to accept at least the extra days as unpaid....

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You could ask about holidays...in our school admin staff take their holidays in term time to ensure the office is covered throughout the school holidays.
    Most people don't want a holiday in September, so it might not be an issue at all and you'll just take it as part of your holiday.

12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I had my wedding and a three week honeymoon booked when I was interviewing for a new job. I told them fairly early on, and I was appointed and allowed the time off even though it was more than my holiday entitlement for the remainder of the year. My advice would to be be upfront about it from the start. They are not going to reject the best candidate because of this.

Regarding your second question, you need to look at the job and person specs and decide what parts of your experience are evidence for them. For example, you won't have used school ICT systems, but can you show yourself to be capable of picking up new systems, based on what you have done in the past? If the role involves contact with the children, have you any experience to show that you are comfortable with that? I have no doubt that a capable candidate from outside education would be able to do

Good luck!

13. JosieWhitehead

Ha ha - You could have the wedding service at your school and invite all the staff and children to it. That might be one way round the problem. More importantly, I hope that you have many many happy years of marriage after the wedding day. This is what is most important. Good luck and put your wedding photo on here for us to admire.

les25paul likes this.
  14. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Tell them at the interview about your wedding.

If they cannot allow you the time off for this pre-arranged important date then do you really need this particular job? (Although they probably will).

15. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

A bit late to be offering advice for an interview that has, presumably, already happened, but can you tell us how it went, @Newstarter19?

16. JosieWhitehead

PS Combine your wedding at school with some 'wedding poetry performance' by the children. Yes, I have written some especially for you. How can the school grumble about that?