1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My tv!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by angiebabe, May 7, 2012.

1. angiebabe

angiebabe Occasional commenter

My tv seems to have devloped a sound problem. One minute it is very very quiet and then the next it is ok. On using the remote it is set very high for volume control. When my skybox was first installed I could control the sound with the sky remote but I did something which resulted in the sound being controlled by the tv remote.
    My bro suggests disconnecting all the cables and then reattaching, so will try that but I guess what I am really asking is it time to buy a new tv?

2. angiebabe

My tv seems to have devloped a sound problem. One minute it is very very quiet and then the next it is ok. On using the remote it is set very high for volume control. When my skybox was first installed I could control the sound with the sky remote but I did something which resulted in the sound being controlled by the tv remote.
    My bro suggests disconnecting all the cables and then reattaching, so will try that but I guess what I am really asking is it time to buy a new tv?

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Nah! Do what your brother says.

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

If you've pressed something to change the settings, fiddling around with the cables isn't going to alter anything, neither, probably, will disconnecting them from the mains. I'd be looking to reset everything to the factory default settings and re-install both the TV and sky box.

5. angiebabe

I havent fiddled around with the settings recently, that happened not long after installation (about 2/3 yrs ago).

6. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

You have probably set the parental control to "Swear-word Whisper" mode. This is only available via Sky and it lowers the sound when offensive, profane or violent language is being used.
    If you use the Sky remote and press Settings, Parental Control and Filters you will see that I have made this up.

7. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

What a fab feature doomzebra!
    I could think of numerous useful variations on that too..

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Your remote might have to be configured to communicate with the TV.
    I have Virgin TV and they supply a code for each brand of TV set. You have to press the buttons in a certain sequence and then input the code to make the TV recognise the remote.
    Not sure why that would affect the sound going up and down though. Sometimes my TV does odd things if the remote's batteries are on the way out???

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

if the sound goes down without the remote being touched if could be a poor connection on the speaker,
    My wife tried her patent mathed for anything that dont work.she hit it hard on the speaker enclosure and it worked lol.We still do it when sound fades on the old tv,,,,,but in the end we probbaly wil have to have a new one!