1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My theory: Marking is easier with alcohol.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Sep 25, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Simple as that really... can't say much about the quality but... damn it's easier.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Are you being more generous? Witty comments?

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

My sarcasm level is up... not sure about 'witty'.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

When you trip over the rug in a drunken haze and drop all the assignments across the floor, does the one that goes the furthest get the highest mark? That's how it was in the days of CSE coursework.

sabrinakat likes this.
  5. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I quite enjoy marking when I'm able to give it the time it needs. The trouble is that there's too much of it to do and too many other things to do as well. So it becomes a dreary chore.

As far as alcohol goes, I put that off until everything important in the day is done because after a small glass I fall gently and unwittingly to sleep - especially on Friday nights...

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Right now I'm multi-tasking... marking, beer and youtube videos.

All good.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Before statement banking it was quite good fun writing tutor reports in a Merlot frame of mind.

Computers spoiled all that.

8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I once knew a primary school teacher who said that marking was much easier with cocaine! Can't say I ever tried it though - didn't get paid enough for one thing.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

*heads off out to find cocaine*

It was monica's idea!

10. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I like to consider the possibly varying effects that alcohol v cocaine might have on marks.....
    Obviously things like student effort, commitment, behaviour, attendance are a far lesser consideration.

11. lmnop

lmnop Occasional commenter

Am having a drink whilst trying to mark before the rugby comes on. I can't say it's helping me to speed through it.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah but is it making it more bearable?

13. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I am sitting here, correcting some Latin, drinking a beer, listening to the radio, hearing the rugby in the background and looking at tes....

with Greek, I need red wine...lots....

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I didn't know you were a Classicist, sk!

How did I not know this???

15. lmnop

Well, that experiment was a failure. I managed to mark a whole, single book, just kept getting too distracted. If I'd have had coffee I'd have done the lot and would be enjoying the rugby with a clear mind. Now I know I'll have to get up early tomorrow and do it then!

16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

To mark Greek properly you need Retsina.

17. sabrinakat

:eek: to imnop....! (it's eek)

18. lmnop

Well, surely alcohol time is relaxation time. Unless it's tick and flick marking (of which I'm a great fan) alcohol and marking don't mix. I've never been good at watching telly while marking either.

19. sabrinakat

I had a bad experience with ouzo, DoY.....and TBH, most of my experiences with Greek have been bad - in fact, I was even given the wrong Greek exam (authors I hadn't studied) as part of my M.Phil (I remember going to the college bar and downing six plus vodka shots to drown my sorrows in failing my degree (I didn't, but lost a distinction as I only managed a pass on the greek)....oh, think I am having a flashback or PTSD....need a beer.........

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  20. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i can't WAIT to mark their maths. I stupidly let them pick their own numbers to work with, so there's no answer sheet to cheat from