1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My tenants are having an issue.....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mrs_Frog, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

Before people have a go at me, (sorry, just been on the Guardian website and witnessed a lot of s l a g ging off of landlords) I am renting out my flat in the South because I could not sell it when I got a new job elsewhere for last Sept.
    I had trouble with the upstairs neighbours, noise and the like when I first moved in. It all got sorted, but it took a very long time and ended with a court appearance by the 'perp'. It was not just me who complained, it was even people in the next street, yes he was that bad. There was a time when he squared up to me in my own back yard (I am a 5ft woman) when he found out that he had to go to court.
    Since then, its been over 4 1/2 years now, there has been limited music but 'family' noise. The property was a converted house, with no soundproofing. There is also a 4yr old living there too.
    Long story short, I moved out, was unable to sell it, rented it out. I knew that there was still noise coming through, but it was 'family' noise and short of cutting peoples feet off, very little I could do.
    There are tenants in there, and they are elderly. They have spoken to the managing agents and have mentioned the noise (to be fair, the agents knew that there was a noise thing going on, the family had been 'running' around when it was being viewed for sale.) This was tagged onto other comments. (Which I have sorted)
    However, today, I spoke to the managing agents, and the noise thing was mentioned again. I have said that someone could go and ask them about the noise and to keep it down (preferably the tenants son, rather than them as they are probably a bit nervous of the chap upstairs, I know I was) and also to complain to someone (official) if they are concerned about it. I have no issue with that at all.
    I get the feeling that they will be gone as soon as the tenancy runs out, and in all honesty, I don't blame them in the slightest. The only reason I stayed as long as I did was because I bought the bleeping place (and was lied to by the vendor about the noise, but thats another issue) and if I have been a tenant I would have been out of there like a shot too.
    Anyway, I cannot afford to get the place soundproofed as yet, but I may be able to utilise bank of dad to sub me.
    The dilemma I have, is what the hell do I do now. I feel bad for the tenants in there currently, I will feel bad about putting someone else in there (mind you, a couple of rather large, heavy drinking and partying rugby types would not go amiss) In addition, I need tenants to pay the mortgage as I can't afford to leave it sitting empty.
    My current plan, finances allowing, is to wait until the tenants move out, get the place soundproofed, get it rented out again. I was thinking of letting the council have it, and then getting the managing agents to manage it for me...could that be viable...Or if the current tenants don't mind, getting it sound proofed anyway, but they are not having the greatest time there and I would not want to cause any more disruption to them.
    Am I right to suggest complaining to the authorites? I know from the last time that the people upstairs would be in a world of trouble if there were any more complaints.
    Has anyone else been in this position, and can give me some sensible advice because I can get a bit hot-headed about it, and fail to see straight!!!
    Ta ever so