1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

My tax again

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, Dec 22, 2010.

  1. I have just about finished my tax return and i think I have already paid on account more than I owe. So what do I do? I have tried to phone the tax office, no answer. EMailed and they say because my question is specific I need to contact the office. SHall I just file it and let them tell me? It says I have a payment due by Jan; some bloke I have already spoken to says I need to take off what I have already paid, it doesn;t do it automatically for you. So do I~ have to npay and then wait for a refund? SEems ridiculous.
    THank you in advance for any advice!
  2. I checked mine online. Just put in tax rebate in Google and choose a link. Then type in the relevant details e.g your net pay for the year and the tax you have paid and it will tell you straight away if you are owed any money. I then sent a payslip and a brief letter e.g, 'I am providing my payslip because I think I am owed some money' to the local tax office. They have just contacted me in the last week and are about to send a cheque. I sent my stuff about 12 weeks ago. How long you wait for a response will depend on time of year and so on so best not to depend on the money coming soon.Last year I waited for 9 months but I believe this was due to me sending it to the wrong tax office. You should get a response from eventually and they will send you back the payslip. One year I even put some change in my envelope in case my stamp wasn't right. They sent the change back. Also if you are not working, I think there is a fast track way to get the money. I am assuming that you are talking about tax from your job? It feels great to get a cheque from them!
  3. Have a funny feeling that you mean a different tax though, e.g you owe them money?
  4. Take off the additional paid from the bill ... pay the rest
    They will pursue you if they want more and then you can demonstrate what you have paid

    They will be quicker if they think you owe money than they would be if they think they owe you

    All my personal opinion only ... I am not a tax accountant
  5. NellyFUF

    NellyFUF Lead commenter

    You can pay it through your online banking etc etc . It says on the letter how to do this.
  6. thanks everyone. I have already paid a large sum on account - on two occasions through the year. The amount they say I need to pay is about half that. But on the phone this morning they said I had to take off the amount I have paid from the amount they say I owe - which leaves them owing me about 2000.
  7. Did you get the name and extension number of the person who told you to take off the amount you paid?
    Obviously they will fine you if they think you've underpaid. I would be inclined to err on the side of caution, pay what's owed and wait for the refund. They can take an age to come through.
  8. THanks, no I didn;t get his name, although he was a t.osser. It didn't sound right at all, there are links on the site to show how much you have paid on account but it doesn;t take this off automatically? I think I might send a cheque rather than doing it online and send a covering letter.
    Thanks all
  9. So

    Pay no more

    They will notice that you have not paid the Jan bill and contact you ... easier than you trying to contact them

    Again ... I am not a tax accountant
  10. It isn't due until end of Jan so I could wait and see if a cheery letter arrives telling me how much I owe, couldn't I? I would rather do that than get a fine for not paying.
  11. That, I guess, is the issue

    Perhaps ... if you have the money paying would be the better option [​IMG]
  12. B.ugger. I knew someone would say that in the end! I will submit it any minute now, pay what they want and maybe get a refund later. I am pretty bloody sure that, as someone has said. it will take a lot longer than it would if they were chasing me for payment. THanks again.
  13. It will take longer. Make sure you have photocopies of everything you send as they can lose things (or should that be 'lose' things) when they owe you money.
    I would err on the side of caution and pay it in full.
  14. sleepyhead

    sleepyhead New commenter

    After my £17 rebate last year, I apparently owe £400 this year. I filed yesterday and assume that they'll adjust my tax code as they have every other year.
  15. sleepyhead

    sleepyhead New commenter

    I should also have added that they paid the £17 very quickly last year - I'm sure I had it by the end of Feb or maybe sooner

Share This Page