1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My supply teacher is magic- on CBBC TV

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by littleguide, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Just seen the above programme on CBBC.
    Magicians disguised as supply teachers are filmed playing tricks on unsuspecting kids.
    Magic grow powder- produces instant plants from seeds, was the trick I saw today.
    Should we laugh, cry or go with the flow and chuck a box of magic tricks in the supply bag?

2. Just seen the above programme on CBBC.
    Magicians disguised as supply teachers are filmed playing tricks on unsuspecting kids.
    Magic grow powder- produces instant plants from seeds, was the trick I saw today.
    Should we laugh, cry or go with the flow and chuck a box of magic tricks in the supply bag?

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I have a Mathemagics party piece that always baffles pupils. I use it at the end of a lesson when there's about 10 minutes left and work has run out.
    The pupils all think I can read their minds as I can tell them the answer on their piece of paper even where they all did a different calculation by choosing different numbers at the outset (which I did not have sight of).
    Where they tell me that I'm wrong, I hand them a calculator and tell them to do their subtraction again, at which point they get the correct answer that I originally mentioned.
    It helps to improve my status with them if I ever return to the school. I'm known at several schools as the teacher who can do mental telepathy.

4. Can you share it with us then?

5. OK I'll say it, I'm an M6 supply teacher and I seem to have done a perfect disappearing act from the point of view of heads, business administrators and agencies, so I must be magic.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Mathemagics/ telepathy.
    tell the pupils to select three different numbers between 0 and 9 and put them in any order.
    I usually do an example on the board as verbal instructions seem to go way over the heads of some and I tell them NOT to use the three figure number I used.
    So, 293 as a start point.
    Then reverse the number = 392
    Tak the biggest number and subtract the smaller number from it. 392 minus 293 .
    You stand well away from them so you cannot see what they've written.
    When they have their answer, you say that with only one question you can, with a lot of concentration on your part and theirs, tell them what they have written down.
    They put their hands up to be picked and you ask them in turn what the last number of their answer is.
    You then tell them to concentrate really hard on their calculation and you will identify the entire number sequence.
    If they say 6 is the last number, you will be able to tell them that their answer is 396.
    If 5 is the last number, it's 495.
    9 and the answer is 99.
    2 and the answer is 792.
    Got it yet?
    392 minus 293= 99 (my original example)
    896-698 = 198
    734-437 = 297
    It doesn't matter which numbers they chose, all correct answers will have 9 in the middle slot and the outside two numbers will add up to 9. They tell you the last number and you immediately have the first number of their answer (zero int he case of 9 being the last number) and 9 is always the middle number.
    Ham up the telepathy bit and they are comletely fooled. I've only had one pupil who has worked it out and he came back to see me at break to check out his theory!
    If the answer you come up with is not what they have written down,you can confidently tell them that they,ve made a subtraction mistake. Give them the chance to check out their workings or get a friend to do it and they will be amazed that you knew there was a mistake in something you haven't seen. Ask for the new last number and give them the correct answer to their subtraction.

7. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

Why not use magicians as supply teachers, after all schools use unqualified CS/TA clowns as teachers and the HT's often claim they are magic, so magicians pretending to be teachers would just add another unqualified group.
    What would be a magic trik would the HT recognising the fact that only teachers have the skills and training to teach.

8. Sounds brilliant Jubilee!
    I never got my O level Maths so will have to practce this one a bit [​IMG]

9. I too am magic as i have done a disappearing act as well!! Not been contacted by anyone for work despite being told how good I was - might have something to do with the fact that I wouldn't lower my rate for the agency!!

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You only need to be able to add bonds of numbers that total 9!

11. Yes just like me, just call me Harry Houdini! Just wish this government and those so called heads and SLT who have destroyed lives and careers like mine in the name of crawling up the government's **** and saving money would F***ing disappear!