1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My students say they don't understand me

Discussion in 'History' started by mapicone, Jul 15, 2011.

1. I have several coed and non coed groups in Key Stage 3. I teach history to all of them. One of those groups (girls only) say they don't understand me and although I show them how well they are working, apparently that is not enough. My head says they repeat everything by heart so that I think they have acquired whatever I want them to learn (clearly, he is not acquainted with my type of teaching, where memory is only a means, but not the way to learn).

Even if they do understand me, I am frustrated because they are under the impression of two things:

1) They can't learn properly.

2) They can't tell me about it.

I am really under the weather today, especially on such a grey afternoon here in Argentina.

Looking forward to read any advice!

Angie

2. Thank you!! It is not a school policy here to use AfL (I teach in Argentina) so I sometimes forget about it but I try to use as much as I can. It is weird because my students do well in their tasks (I don't ask them to repeat anything, I get bored like that =) ) but they told my head they don't understand when I explain things. Moreover, they sobbed in their last exam (we have term exams here) and they got 8s & 9s (would like As and Bs). Thank you for your tips, I can really use them! I found them quite interesting and encouraging. Thank you again!!!

Angie