1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My student has no concept of mathematical operations

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Greenteaaddict, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Foundation? I have year 2s that struggle with the same thing. I wouldn't worry he probably isn't ready to read mathematical symbols just yet!

2. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

Fully agree with other post, I did have a child that also confused = with - I did suggest that think of = as railway lines this did work for him, just a thought.

3. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Year 6!!!! Symbols and language. Just keep going over and over. Keep changing flash cards for new designs. Play snap and matching pairs game. BBC website for games. Just keep going I usually manage 2 out of 6 grasping most basics by the time they leave ( :

4. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

reading and using the symbols don't appear on objectives until year 1. make sure he understands the concepts of adding and subtraction first, the rest will follow if modelled. it's only january!

5. Why are you trying to teach + and = at foundation stage? He's just not ready. Make sure he understands the processes involved before he has to read and write the symbols.

6. I fully agree. For foundation I would only expect to work towards number (numeral) recognition, being secure in accurate counting and relating the concept of addition and subtraction to joining groups of objects together and removing objects from a group. Also, ensuring the child is confident in one stage before moving on to the next, if they don't get the concept of counting, how can they add/ take away. Likewise why teach the symbol for addition if they don't understand the operation.