1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My strong voice!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by mandylous, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Help! I am a newly qualified TA and started working at a Primary School in September. I have just had my induction where the Head sits in on a session I have with a group of 6 students. I have had really positive feedback, but at the end, was told that I need to lower my volume. I did realise towards the end of the session that I had been talking louder than normal, partly due to nerves and general noise going on around me, as we work in a communal area shared by other classrooms. However, I do naturally have a strong voice and that can come across as being loud, even though to me, I aren't. Can anyone give me any tips on how to be more aware of my vocal level and to keep it down. I've seen quite a few people asking for help to make themselves be heard in the classroom, but for myself, its the opposite!

2. Help! I am a newly qualified TA and started working at a Primary School in September. I have just had my induction where the Head sits in on a session I have with a group of 6 students. I have had really positive feedback, but at the end, was told that I need to lower my volume. I did realise towards the end of the session that I had been talking louder than normal, partly due to nerves and general noise going on around me, as we work in a communal area shared by other classrooms. However, I do naturally have a strong voice and that can come across as being loud, even though to me, I aren't. Can anyone give me any tips on how to be more aware of my vocal level and to keep it down. I've seen quite a few people asking for help to make themselves be heard in the classroom, but for myself, its the opposite!

3. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

Hello mandylous, I also have the same problem - it seems I "shout" pretty much every time I open my mouth (since becoming a teacher I've actually discovered I "project" without realising, rather than actual shouting though) and often get complaints from friends that I'm deafening them!

I've never had any specific feedback on how to reduce the volume, but I find that I have become more aware of it with experience. Try to take a deep breath before you start talking to any group of pupils and consider the volume and tone of voice - the latter is particularly important, so I often find that by considering one I'm reminded of the other.
    Having said that, I do still sometimes start speaking without thinking, but it can be a good technique to start out loud and get gradually quieter - that way you get the pupils' attention and maintain it as they have to focus more carefully to be able to listen to you.
    Good luck - I'm sure you'll be fine, especially if that was the Head's only criticism!