1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

my son

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by michelle123456, Feb 10, 2012.

1. hi would like a little advise just had parents evening my son is in year nine about to take hes options and is a very able bright child i have been informed tonight there is got to be tighter regulations on taking triple science done through the government and not so many children will b selected to go through last year while my son then in year8 was getting level 8 s and doing so wel was thriving hes then teacher could not speak more highly of him has he was achieving so much and said without doubt my son should take triple science new teacher new to school is now teaching my child hes levels have dropped and although school have assured me he in top set my son seems to think this is not the case ! and new teacher has said tonight she not looking to put my son through for triple science me and him are really disapointed in this and would really like some advise because we really think the decision is wrong who can i contact to disscuss this matter with in hes school cos cannot understand how why things can change in a few months pls help advise if u can many thanx michelle parent of very able child who deserves this has he working really hard x

2. hi would like a little advise just had parents evening my son is in year nine about to take hes options and is a very able bright child i have been informed tonight there is got to be tighter regulations on taking triple science done through the government and not so many children will b selected to go through last year while my son then in year8 was getting level 8 s and doing so wel was thriving hes then teacher could not speak more highly of him has he was achieving so much and said without doubt my son should take triple science new teacher new to school is now teaching my child hes levels have dropped and although school have assured me he in top set my son seems to think this is not the case ! and new teacher has said tonight she not looking to put my son through for triple science me and him are really disapointed in this and would really like some advise because we really think the decision is wrong who can i contact to disscuss this matter with in hes school cos cannot understand how why things can change in a few months pls help advise if u can many thanx michelle parent of very able child who deserves this has he working really hard x

3. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

I would ask to speak to the Head of Year, and if he/she can't sort it out go higher up the school hierarchy (to Assistant or Deputy Head).

4. thank you for your advise my son left primary with level 5 and was on gifted and talented registra in yr 8 he had a great science teacher i have sent the school an email on this matter and made a phone call for a call back but with half term upon us i will now have to wait till children go back he wants to do law so is taking history would like to take triple science philosophyand ethics tech graphics ect ect with the norm he has to do eng math ty so much michelle he done a mock on nothing they had touched on b4 and got a d but prdicted a b

5. and its a case because he getting very down hearted on this do something b 4 he loses interesthe should of beenput in toip set science which we expected cos there is a few children in class that r mucking about and dont want to learn and my son feels he is not getting much ouyt of the lesson and children that were achieving less than my child in yr 8 have gone in top set we cannot understand this situation at all everything else is ok he is is acheiving so much in every other subject prob with my son is he doesnt need to do much revising he just comes up trumps mostly in tests exams which some teachers like and get suprised by him and im afraid some dont like it x

6. i forgot to mention he is also taking mfl french 4 an option has he is doing really well in this and also getting high levels

7. " i forgot to mention he is also taking mfl french 4 an option has he is doing really well in this and also getting high levels"

Thats as maybe but there are only 139million french speakers in the world compared to 150 million (approx) german speakers and 350 million (approx) spanish speakers and over a billion chinese speakers and goodness knows how many urdu or hindi. Is it really worth learning a minority language given that English is compulsory in France anyway?

8. Random175

Random175 New commenter

rapster is talking rubbish. How many people speaking a language does not consitute the only reason for its importance.
    The Ebacc is important the russell group of universities are going to take note of it for their more academic courses and indeed have been taking note of the subjects students have studied at GCSE for years and their grade. Agree with others contact head of year or head of house whichever is the appropriate person in your school. If you really don't know who to contact then go straight to the headteacher. Triple science is important for the more able - it is becoming an expectation that the more able should have this qualification.

9. thank you ramdom he is 14 yrs old and taking a lauguage he is good at is not a bad thing as it another hopefully notch under hes beltbut yes ty 4 your very usefull advice and yes i do believe he should b considered to take triple and would b very good 4 him as he would like to go into law so as many qualifications he can obtain surely has got to b a good thing he fully intends to go the full way with hes learning and i say good on him at least he wants to aim somethging instead of in a dole q !!!!!!rapster ! oh and by the way he taking spanish 2 has he already got asked to sit a second laugaunge in yr 8 and not all children were asked to do so but ty ramdom for your advice have rung and emailed school just got to wait till half term over i guess kind reguards michelle

10. telephonejunkie

telephonejunkie New commenter

I have been a sixth from tutor for a number of years as well as a science teacher. I am all for able students doing triple scienceGCSE especially as it can lead them to want to take science through to A level and beyond. On the other hand lookingwell ahead if he is thinking about Law(some would say it is early) he needs to be thinking ahead to A levels where he can get A grades to go to the best Law universities. I know my head teacher disagrees with this but it is more difficult to get the highest grades in Sciences, where as a student may find an A in other subjects more within their reach.

11. I actually never said he shoud not take a language. I said he should not take French. If he wants to go into law or science Spanish with its latin foundation would be much more useful.
    Also check your facts re the Russell group. You are wrong here. For their more academic courses they generally have their own entrance examinations.
    On another note looking down the line if he wants to go into law try to avoid law A level as a lot of universities do not like it since they recruit students with a broad base of qualifications rather than textbook law which is often out of date and has to be unlearned.

12. ok have taken your points on boardwhat in your opinion he plans to take history philosophy and ethics tech graphics mfl we got options evening in 2 weeks as i said im a parent not a teacher i just want the best for my son has he the first in my family to have this ability to aim and acheive wat he wants yes he has wanted to go into law for 2 yrs now since he started secondary school never mentioned anything else or changed hes mind he has a great love of science and yes would like to go through to triple science but no the guv have tightened the regs up but if u can help to advise pls do b very helpfull kind reguards michelle

13. he is taking the history approach into law and he is already takingspanish he has been doing 2 mfl since yr 8

14. Thats a really good foundation Michelle and sorry if i have come across as negative. Im (amongst other things) responsible for careers and transition at a school where OFSTED have said our strategy is progressive, forward looking and has outstanding elements. We're consistently seen as having some of the best practice in the county.
    Therefore i get wound up by out of touch, out of date teachers who are determined to prepare students for a world that simply does not exist any more.
    As i said, your son needs to aim not just high by stratospheric. It is also really important that he does extra stuff. If he applied for uni with exactly the same grades as another student but there is only one place left, what is going to give him the edge? Thats why things like Dof E and extra curricular count so much. You're in an enviable position and i wish you the very best.

15. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

You are wrong if you believe that teachers do not like their pupils to achieve.
    Best of luck with your problem.

16. YesMrBronson

Citation needed.

17. YesMrBronson

Well it seems Random175 didn't have one.

I'll have to assume it was made up then.

18. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Unless I'm mistaken, the Ebacc is a good spread of GCSEs at good grades. My son, Y9, has just chosen his options including English Lit & Lang, maths, 2 sciences, history and french, which are all needed for the Ebacc as well as some others. If this isn't a good spread, I don't know what is.

19. YesMrBronson

English lit & lang, maths, 2 sciences, history and music would also be "a good spread". However, this combination would not qualify as an Ebacc.
    That is the stupid, boneheadedness of Gove's Ebacc.

20. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

You don't think they should do a language then?