1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My son is being given a Year 4 Sats reading test when he is only Year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by aztec568, Jun 17, 2011.

1. aztec568

aztec568 New commenter

Does anyone know why a school might be testing Year 2 children with a Year 4 paper? My son is a level 3 reader, but I'm not sure for who's benifit this might be - the schools or my son. Any ideas?

2. Sounds like they just want to stretch his legs and see what he can do.

I often give the some of the children in my class papers aimed at higher age levels for no other reason than the one above.

3. Are many of them doing it or just a couple of children? How do you know? It must be a way of checking the level 3s but I thought you were meant to use the next year group's paper rather than two years above, so Y3 instead of Y4. We don't usually do it as it means they'll have already seen the test when they get into that year group. That could be why though - maybe they use a two year gap so that the children don't remember the paper the next year.

4. aztec568

aztec568 New commenter

Apparently out of 90 children 9 have been picked to do the test - one of the teachers told the parents about it. I will ask them directly next week but still think it seems odd. I would have thought they could do teacher assessment rather than more testing on on top of what they have already done. They are also getting some children to do Year 4 maths papers too.

5. Perhaps they suspect he is reading at a bizarrely high level!? I've never heard of this happening, but can't think of any other reason.
    This year, my Year 5s sat the normal paper and most of them got Level 5s. The paper doesn't give a sublevel so I am finding it hard to differentiate their sublevels - perhaps I should have given them the Y6 paper!

6. Perhaps they have teacher assessed and want to check their assessment is reflected in a test situation.

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I do! I give them a level paper that most closely reflects the level they are working at from my teacher assessment. If you do have to give a paper as part of your teacher assessment ( and it is school policy that we do) then you may as well give one that actually tells you something! There is no point in giving a year 4 in my maths group a year 4 paper which only goes up to level 4 when he is currently working at a 5A!

8. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

In the Year 5 test it is notoriously easy to get high marks...to the despair of all Year 6 teachers cos they all come up with hugely inflated reading and writing levels...it drives me mad! It's easy to work out the sublevels on any paper by dividing the marks for each level into three groups. And, in response to the OP, it is theoretically possible for your child to even do a Year 6 paper, as its spec is to test Levels 3-5!!

9. My class came up high on the writing because I don't usually include marks for spelling when assessing them (we do Rising Stars half-termly). I have dropped them back for my TA though. The reading scores, in my class, largely match up with my assessment of them through the year and in GR etc. I have given them a 5c in all bar two cases, mainly so they have 'somewhere to go' in Year 6, although they are probably reading at a higher level in some cases.

10. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

Yes reading scores are less 'out' than writing. Lucky Year 6 teacher next year! I give mine an old Year 6 paper in the second week of the Autumn term and the results are always 2-4 sublevels lower! Then my head freaks cos even by Christmas they are still way behind their Year 5 levels!!

11. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

What do you want, a badge or a balloon? None of it matters until they get to the Oxbridge interview day.

12. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

Try telling that to my head!

13. Surely your Head should be taking this up with the Year 5 teacher/s, rather than you if you can show they are not working at their end of Year 5 level when they start Year 6?

14. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

I totally agree but he just won't have it.....he even had a dig at me in a staff meeting recently commenting on 'staff who don't trust the data that is sent up' and everytime he sees the graph on PupilTracker that shows their negative progress, he just turns a funny shade of puce and looks at me accusingly!!! Can't win! [​IMG]

15. Blimey. Ask him to explain the discrepancy in September then!