1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My sick pay: is this a sick joke?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by frustum, Jan 26, 2012.

1. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If your school is an ordinary LA school, not an academy, then I think you're right about the 25 days full pay. Ring the LA payroll people and hopefully it's just an error which can be corrected. (If cashflow is an issue, press them on getting it corrected immediately, not just next month.)

2. Hello, thank you SO much for replying. It is just a regular school.Okay, I'm going to do that! Hopefully hopefully hopefully just a mistake... but I have a bad feeling... [​IMG] xxx

3. Their systems are down and they can't get into the payroll. HA.

4. Oh! Surpised and delighted to get an apologetic phonecall from the council! It turns out my school still haven't registered me as an NQT, so it ain't really their fault? But now they know, they've authorised a second payment to go into my account tomorrow. Blimey! And there I was ready to get firebrand on their asses! I now really like my LA and find their tech failings charming. Thank you again for the reassurance that not working hasn't made me illiterate and I was reading the sick pay stuff right. PHEW! xxx

5. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

What have the poor animals ever done to you? :p

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

I would be more worried about this! You need to get onto this ASAP. Induction can't be backdated (or at least I didn't think it could be).

7. I know, I am! I only found out just before Xmas, so planned to remind relevant person about it after the hols... Is a little dispiriting that that half-term didn't count towards induction! [​IMG] xx

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If they don't register you soon, none of your January work will count either.
    Your absence from work will eat into the alowable days out of an Induction year. They can conclude Induction, if you have met the Standards, with 29 days or fewer missing from an Induction period.
    With 30 days or more absent from work in the original Induction period, the NQT has to wait and serve the entire number of missing days before the final Induction term can be assessed.

9. I just assumed that being signed off work for 6 weeks would push my induction back another half-term. It's just annoying that I taught the half-term running up to Xmas and it didn't count for anything, and now another half-term missed. Hey-ho.... xxx

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Assuming thta the job is to last longer than a year, you will at least carry on with a reduced timetable until later in the 2012/13 school year!
    Pay Progression will happen as normal in September, even with an incomplete Induction. It's having been employed for 26 separate calendar weeks (you can count paid sick weeks and paid holidays) that ensures pay progression.