1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My school's data is being fabricated. What should I do?

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by Aeroshrink, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Aeroshrink

Aeroshrink New commenter

Some of my colleagues, and myself, have been asked to "revisit" our EYFS teacher assessments. Basically this means that our assessments are being upgraded e.g from a 1 to a 2. Subsequent assessments are then given to parents and percentages published on the school website. We are feeling very "leant upon" but feel unable to say no and we feel uncomfortable about agreeing to amend our assessments. What should we do? Is the school (and ourselves?) being fraudulent by publishing "massaged" data?

cys2017 likes this.
  2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Teachers' Standards section 6 applies.

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

when I was a teacher I was absolutely scrupulous in all respects when it came to assessment, grading and data. This lead me into conflict with colleagues, and I had the statistics against me all day every day, which caused me problems in PM too.

Now I'm not a teacher any more, I look back and wonder why did I bother? I did no one any favours, not my school, my pupils, or least of all myself.

At the time I thought having a clean conscious mattered.

more fool me

bevdex, 2916 and wanet like this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You assessments will not affect the children one little bit. No-one will ever care that little Sophie was really only a 1 when she was given a 2 at the age of four and a half.
    The year 1 teacher won't be fussed, they will just think the slip was due to a summer holiday drop or you can tell them the true figures at handover time anyway.

The data matters to no one except the schools image.
    So long as you can find evidence for any data moderated, then do whatever. No-one takes any of it seriously anyway.

A school I used to teach in has just seen it's KS2 results published. The externally marked maths and reading show children working 'way below average'. Reading, marked by the school itself show the children as 'average'. Really? They write significantly better than they read? Hmmm
    And this is in externally published results. EYFS data matters not a jot to anyone except the teacher who has to 'massage the figures'.

Do whatever you think best.

dunnocks likes this.
  5. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

Don't get the desire to bump up results. All it does it shoot the school in the foot further down the line. I'd point out that progress from EYFS to KS1 is now part of Raise Online so the data will be harmed by pushing the results up.

Interesting looking at the league table's for KS2 how many schools got amazing progress scores for writing but dire for reading and mathematics, Thankfully we report what the children are and our reading and writing were in line.

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

7. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

It's a complete 'mockery' if the school wants to fabricate the data just for the reasons of 'success'... Personally, I would refuse to do it, and if you was to get threatened with disciplinary, I would contact OFSTED and tell them this.
    You don't want your name to anything that you don't agree to.

ParentA likes this.
  8. I’ve seen this with my school. BTECs, and they were fabricating the results. One of the department teachers put in his notice, when I asked him why leave a permanent U3 post for a part time temp in a 6th form college on 22k? He told me in a confidential and very quiet conversation that he fiddled the results. Shocked, but in the back of my mind I sort of realised it, as some of his results were beyond what I thought him and his classes were capable of. “OK I said, we’ve been under threat of an Ofsted and massive pressure from SMT to achieve grades above what the kids are capable of as the SMT use the BTEC system to ‘boost’ grades. Take this as a lapse of judgement while under immense pressure and we’ll put my unit forward for moderation rather than yours, and we’ll look at how to make sure this doesn’t happen again”. “No” he said” you don’t understand, it wasn’t just one unit of work”. “and it wasn’t just this year, I’ve been doing it for the last two and a half years, otherwise I couldn’t get the distinction grades I was supposed to”. I found out at least one other teacher was doing it as well (who has since left), a member of SMT, putting grades through as Distinctions, when the kids hadn’t even completed the Merits. It had become standard practise to cover the missing assignments with teacher ‘witness statements’. But some of the units had over 80% of the evidence as ‘witness statements’. One of the teachers in another department told me their policy was to allow up to 80% ‘copy direct from a book’ in any one unit. For me the final nail came when I realised my Year 11 results were reported at a much higher pass rate than I had reported. At least two kids I had down as fail because of lack of attendance and very little work handed in, both turned up as Merits, when I know I didn’t even have them down as a level 1 pass.

I thought long and hard about professional standards, about what would happen if I went to the relevant authorities. In school it would have been covered up and would have continued, but I’d end up with extra lesson observations as a punishment. If I went to the LEA it would be covered up as they are already on the Ofsted hit list, school governor is getting into local politics and wouldn’t want this getting out so no good going to him. What’s left? Ofsted? Put the whole school in to an Ofsted, that would finish some of the good teachers who are already on a tether. Unions? A complete waste of time, they’re all compromise and cover up. Papers? Yes and guess what happens to me, life at school a nightmare, suddenly get all bottom set classes, constant lessons obs or ‘learning walks’ looking for an excuse to discipline me and then sack me? And no support from any colleagues because ‘I went public’. So after 20 years as a teacher, I left, not the school, I left teaching.

You’ll get (and have got) loads of advice on here, especially about doing the professional thing and professional standards, making complaints to the relevant authorities and becoming a whistle blower. Bottom line is simply this, do that and you are finished, they’ll make your life a nightmare as punishment, your colleagues will not support you and if it winds up with an Ofsted, then forget any reference after you’ve left. Either put up with it or leave teaching, bit brutal but that’s the options. Don’t think its just your school, the majority are fiddling the figures and falsifying the results, occasionally without the teachers knowledge, but still doing it.

There’ll be loads on here who’ll nail me to a cross for what I’ve wrote and my lack of so called ‘professional standards’, but I have a 3 year old son and a very sick wife. I've actually marked and graded correctly and never falsified anything, I’ve just not reported those who have. I don’t need this so I left. They (the ‘good’ teachers) will give you loads of advice about reporting it, but they aren’t the ones who have to live with the results of those actions and fallout, you are! And in most cases, they wouldn’t jeopardise their jobs this way.

Welcome to teaching… and you thought it was a profession....? you have my sympathy

9. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hello @Tom_Brown1, I've started a private conversation with you about your post. Please can you check your conversations?

You can access the drop-down menu by hovering over your username in the top right-hand side of the top navigation bar.

You should see Conversations listed in the menu.

More information about how to access your private conversations can be found here.

Please can you reply to my conversation?

Thank you.

cys2017 likes this.
  10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

11. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I was going to say this. There is a growing trend with Ofsted to link EYFS outcomes with KS1 and KS2 progress - you only need to look at the new Raiseonline data to confirm this.

After the fiasco of Baseline assessment it seems that the DfE are just going ahead with linking progress to EYFS outcomes anyway.

12. pedchamp

pedchamp New commenter

When leaders are putting 'pressure' on staff to alter assessments they must be under immense pressure themselves. I back up previous comments as this will have massive implications on the pupils, the staff and the school as these pupils move through the year groups. All it can lead to is pressure to alter future results in other year groups.

13. Pattie327

Pattie327 New commenter

My school has just had an Ofsted inspection. The inspectors were given fabricated data showing huge improvements in exclusion rates and behaviour. I want to blow the whistle but I don’t know how to and I am not the staff member who was asked to falsify the report - the SENCO told an admin person to do it. What can I do?

14. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

Hi I think personally you shouldn’t follow what thaey are suggesting to fraudent the grades. It is clear by your post that you do not feel comfortable with the idea which consequently encouraged you to put a post on TEs. Imagine if another staff memeber new or old also felt uncomfortable and actually reported this to someone higher. The person who suggested the idea could have their job at risk. This could also get all the staff who have agreed into trouble too.