1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My School is thinking of leaving the Teachers pension scheme

Discussion in 'Independent' started by nconnolly, Jan 22, 2019.

1. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

Be lucky that your schools are actually having consultations. In mine we have just simply been told that the school will be leaving. The only question is where we will be going ( a decision for the Bursar , not us)

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Let's not pretend that the 'consultation' is anything different to what you have. It's going through the motions, that's all.

3. tonbridge87

tonbridge87 New commenter

It is and they have to do it. I have advised that it will be the governors who talk to staff not the Head unless it is a privately owned school. A previous poster asked whether SLT would stay in it. My understanding is that the whole school is either in it or not. Some schemes being looked at do offer greatly flexibility for staff. The other option for some schools would be a below inflation pay increase but retaining TPS for the next few years at least.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Only a privately owned school can withdraw from TPS. State schools can't, so the question of who consults staff in a state school doesn't arise.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

I assumed @tonbridge87 meant a school owned and run by the head, so there are no governors.

Yes, the entire school is in or out...our consultation is pressing ahead, with some staff more bothered than others. And some asking questions they have already been given the answer to!

willcott likes this.
  6. neelam0123

neelam0123 New commenter

Yes! This is really a tricky thing for schools...

7. caterpillartobutterfly

Has anyone's school made a decision yet?
    Is anyone fighting a decision to leave?

8. mm71

mm71 Occasional commenter

We're starting the whole process now. Oh joy!

9. tinaor

tinaor New commenter

Have schools who have made the decision to move over kept a death in service benefit that was included in TPS?

10. caterpillartobutterfly

We have it (death in service) as an add on extra. Separate to the proposed pension, but still in place.

11. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Our consultation has stalled while we wait for the outgoing CoG, who is driving the move to leave TPS, to be replaced. I've been amazed by how little my colleagues know about their pensions - in particular the final salary link aspect.

12. MrsBridgewater

MrsBridgewater New commenter

Do you work at my school?

The consultation has to take 60 days, cannot be run by 'interested parties' (i.e. if the head is in TPS they cannot run the consultation). We are allegedly staying in... but if that is the decision that has been reached why do we need a consultation about leaving?

13. caterpillartobutterfly

We are leaving...but why we had a consultation is anyone's guess!

14. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Whatcha gonna do?

15. caterpillartobutterfly

Talk to the regional union rep and staff from the same union in other affected schools and then decide.

Probably look for a new job to be honest.

16. silenceapres3

silenceapres3 New commenter

I teach in central London with very little chance of getting on the housing ladder anywhere near my school on my salary, even after 12 years teaching, and membership of the TPS is literally the only good condition of my employment in my eyes. My school is thankfully staying in it but if it withdrew, I would find another job immediately.

17. theselofane

theselofane New commenter

Yes it has happened at a school near me.