1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My school is a great place to work...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by frustum, Dec 3, 2015.

1. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Unfortunately, as I'm not working in a school at the moment, I can't say this.

But I thought it might be worth trying to start a positive thread, where people can post to say that they're working in a school where management are supportive, workload might be high but it is manageable, and they're (mostly) enjoying their job. Obviously no naming schools, but just to know they are out there might give others some encouragement.

Reading Workplace Dilemmas, you'd think there are no schools left that are worth working in; obviously we have a rather biassed sample, so let's try and show that there are nice schools out there.

petenewton likes this.
  2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Of course people can write about their good experiences but I wouldn't expect to read that on this forum. This forum is for folk with dilemmas in the workplace.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

True, but it could be 're-posted' over on Personal?

lindenlea likes this.
  4. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Space school.

Out of this world.

5. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

@frustum, of course some of the dilemmas on Workplace Dilemmas are just 'stories' with elaborate plots, wicked witches and typically an unhappy ending.

Lascarina likes this.
  6. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Although it's not a Workplace Dilemma sort of thread I'm sure that a bit of hope for a better working future would go a long way for some of the posters in horrible situations. One of the most frequently given pieces of advice is to look for jobs in other schools so perhaps this thread does belong here.

Flere-Imsaho, JRiley1, Yoda- and 2 others like this.
  7. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Here are the things I like about my school:

The staff are lovely. They all (including management) care immensely about the children.
    The head is approachable and listens and acts on anything not working or causing a problem or issue.
    We have a vending machine which issues emergency supplies or fruit pastilles and chocolate!

Noja and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. vannie

vannie Star commenter

My school is lovely. I feel trusted and appreciated. People hardly ever leave. The children are challenging but I feel fully supported by SLT. The head is kind and understanding. I feel like I've won the lottery. And it's still hard. The job is so hard at the moment it's insanity for leadership to treat people badly.

Dragonlady30 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As that (indicated by by bold and italics) is said by someone who is working in a good supportive school, it's a pity more SLT people don't realise this.

10. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

My school is tiny so the workload is high as we still need to do everything between the three of us. That aside, it's a pleasure to work there as all staff are supportive, caring and we genuinely appreciate each other.

Having come from a very different school previously I trully appreciate the school I now work at. To those of you who are in hideous situations, whatever the reason, do keep looking as there are some wonderful schools out there.

11. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Please don't post any information about specific schools on this thread. If ofsted find out they'll be turned into academies or be shut down.

petenewton likes this.
  12. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Nice to have a bit of light relief, I'd say!

Gemspecs likes this.
  13. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

I'm leaving my current school at Christmas (many reasons not for this thread) but there will be things I'll miss:
    - my department who work immensely hard and support each other in an otherwise toxic climate.
    - the under-rated highly supportive member of SLT who actually backs staff up and doesn't blame them for students making poor decisions
    - the support staff who made it possible to teach students who's otherwise fail
    - my relationships with my teaching assistants who always give me a heads up when they overhear SLT muttering

petenewton likes this.
  14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

OK - barley!

15. Clive_Candy

Clive_Candy Occasional commenter

I guess I'm in a dilemma of sorts.

My school is great: the kids are super, my colleagues sympathetic and we've got an understanding and supportive head.

What more could one ask for?

Well, just a life outside of it really - which is why I don't think I'll still be there beyond the end of the year.

16. veneris

veneris New commenter

I love mine.

Okay, I'm a Head so you could say I'm self-deluded. I wouldn't blame you - I've worked with some very peculiar Heads in my time as well as some very good ones.

I actually hated my previous job ultimately (wasn't Head then) but this school is great and staff make a point of telling you they're happy and love working there, which is a big bonus considering how unhappy and toxic many schools are. It matters to me that they say that because staff welfare matters to me, and it's nice to have some positive feedback from the people you are trying to support at the chalkface.

petenewton likes this.
  17. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I love my school...
    However, my story is a success story. For those of you facing terrible situations where you fear for your career, sanity and even your life on the really bad days, there can be a future that is rosy and bright.

I, with help from my union, got out from a truly nasty situation. If I'd read it in the TES, I'd not even believe it myself and I was there! I then had a temporary post to recover my self esteem and belief in SLT and now I work in a lovely place.

No it isn't perfect, it has its irritations and foibles like most places.
    BUT
    We have a head, who makes time in a ridiculously busy day for irritating staff like me who keep wanting to see him or send him emails that need answering. A head who cares about the wellbeing of staff is also a bit of a novelty for me after the last few years and so is very much appreciated.
    Everyone is always so flippin friendly and polite (well almost everyone, almost all the time!), even people you have never set eyes on before, who happen to be around school.
    Parents who are pushy (and then some!) but really appreciative of what I do.
    Children who are fun to be about...but then even the most toxic schools have those. :)

18. Shatnerbassoon

Shatnerbassoon New commenter

I genuinely do work in a lovely school. Lovely pupils, a collegiate and friendly staff, supportive and decisive managers, and overall a real sense of being valued as a professional (there are no learning walks, triple marking etc). Of course we all have our minor gripes, but compared to many schools in the country (and certainly some i have previously worked at) it is quite a haven, and I won't be leaving anytime soon!

19. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

I love my school too. I am very aware of how lucky I am to say that. There are some good places left.

badger_girl and petenewton like this.
  20. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

I like my school.

Colleagues are supportive. Managers are unobtrusive. Training is provided. They're funding my postgrad stuff. New head seems to be willing to listen to people, but still has a "vision" for the school. Policies seem sensible - marking policy depends on department, written by teachers in the department. Students can be pains in the **** sometimes, but people are always there to support, whether it's in the staffroom or down the pub.

Also the pub is a very short stumble from the staffroom and has a fine selection of whiskies.