1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My school have gone in to special measures

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by PaulDG, Feb 3, 2012.

1. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

You need to contact whichever body is managing your induction (your LEA?) as schools in special measures aren't allowed to employ NQTs without special permission.

It might be a good idea to contact your PGCE tutor for advice.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Not entirely true - as this teacher is already employed, the rule doesn't apply. It prohibits them from employing any further NQTs without permission.

3. If a school goes into special measures and you are already employed and on inducxtion then induction can carry on, but the LA has to ensure that there is adequate support and supervision. You should contact youre LA adviser and seek information/a meeting about how they wiull supervise and support you during the rest of your induction.
    James

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

What if it's not an LA school?

5. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Hello and thank you for the replies.
    My school is now an academy, however, the LA seem to be dealing with my induction because I have recently had a form from them asking me to answer how well the school have been meeting my induction needs.
    One of the questions asks if I have the opportunity to meet with my mentor weekly, I have met with him once in five months and he told me this is because I only work 4 days a week. He is actually putting pressure on me to lie on the form as he says the questions are irrelevant as I am part time....but I guess that's a different story anyway!
    I will get in touch with the LA. Many thanks again.

6. My school is in special measures. They are allowed to employ NQTs so it's not true that special measures schools are banned from doing so.
    To be honest, I haven't noticed anything much different to schools I spent my placements in. I am getting a bit of pressure from my key stage co-ordinator but of course that will happen in some schools regardless of status.
    I'm lucky to not have been observed by Ofsted yet but it's getting to be that time soon. I am worried about that but I keep assuring myself that it's going to happen at some point in my career. I might as well have it happen loads when I have NQT support in place.
    I suppose the benefit of being in special measures as an NQT is that you don't know any different. You'll probably have a really steep learning curve too with all the Ofsted observations which will stand you in good stead for the future.

7. Any school that offers induction will either have an LA (state schools, academes and some private schools) or the ISCTIP overseeing the induction and ratifying the outcome, so if the school goes into special measures then if the academy has an agreement to run induction under the LA the LA will still oversee the process and should contact and support any NQT.
    The real question is "if an academy goes into special measures then what?" Given that Mr Gove's answer to any failing school is to turn it into an academy - I fear that his answer would be to change the sponsor of the academy and hope for the best!
    James

8. Having worked in a Special Measures school (we are now satisfactory!) I would absolutely agree with this point. If the SMT in your school are worth their salt you will hopefully pick up some very good habits! During our time in Special measures we have had 5 different heads (4 of them acting whilst we waited for a permanent head) and I picked up good things from all of them. This time is hard, and sometimes you will wonder if its all worth it what with the constant scrutiny and all, but stick in and make sure you talk to people about your experiences, either at work or on these forums. You'll find it helps you keep your sanity!