1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My school doesn't do medium term plans...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sfm_81, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Is this a problem?

I'm an NQT and I don't really know what one should look like. This is what we do... In maths we just do our own plans from the new framework which is helped by some county planning, this is all done on individual lesson format. For literacy we just follow Hamilton Trust, again individual lessons.

We do a thematic curriculum so that comprises of 10/12weeks of lessons stapled together basically, all for individual lessons, nothing MT. All the others, PE/ICT etc. are all for individual lessons.

Am I missing something here? Is my school forgetting something rather important?? Talk about confused. Maybe if I brought it up the HT might say what do we need a MT plan for? I doubt it but it might explain why we don't use them!

What are your thoughts?

2. Ask them!

They may feel they don't need to depending on what their yearly overview looks like. You will never know unless you ask.

At the end of the day you have to plan in a way that works for you. If you feel you need medium term plans then there's nothing stopping you doing them for your own benefit.

3. inq

inq

I like having a MTP so I can sort my objectives into weekly plans ensuring that I cover everything that I want to. Our MTP's for each foundation subject cover 1 page A4 although I've taught in schools where the MTP has been a week by week breakdown of what will be taught and the context for each lesson.

4. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I hate medium term plans and don't really see the benefit of them. Then again, a medium term plan looks very different depending on your school.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We don't officially have them either. Some people, who have stayed in the same year group, use what they did last year a little bit.

Some staff buy published plans, which are useful for the teachers who can't be bothered to think about what they want to teach and how best to present it to their class. They can just follow the scheme.

The rest of us like the freedom to do our own thing, within the long term plan.

They definitely aren't vital, but some people like them.

6. Think youself lucky!! we have to slave our time away completing VERY detailed MTP's. Such a waste of time! Enjoy the freedom, and make plans that suit your own needs, enjoy!