1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My salary - advice please!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by tedtrumpet, Mar 7, 2011.

1. tedtrumpet

tedtrumpet New commenter

Hi,

I'm currently working part time and was wondering if my salary has been worked out correctly.
    In my contract it says I am .32 FTE which works out at £12031.68 as I am on UPS1 (£37599). I am being a) thick or b) naive to assume that I divide the full time amount by 5 and then multiply by 2???

Also, could anyone help me calculate UPS 2 Inner London (£43,536) if I work 3 days a week?

Thanks for any help in advance.

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Why do youwant to divide by 5 and multiply by 2? That would be how someone on 0.4 would work out their pay!
    You need to divide by 100 and multiply by 32 OR divide by 10 and multiply by 3.2 OR divide by 5 and multiply by 1.6 (all of which will give you £12031-68).
    As to your other query, it depends whether working 3 days per week is 0.6 or higher.
    Assuming a straight 0.6 contract, you'd get £26121-60 which is £43536 multiplied by 6 and divided by 10 (o.6 is the same as 6 tenths).

3. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

4. tedtrumpet

tedtrumpet New commenter

Erm. I wasn't clear in my initial message. I want to know why I have been paid 0.32 as opposed to 0.4. I was wondering how to work out my pay for 2 days a week - i.e. if I get £37599 for 5 days a week shouldn't I get £15039.60 for 2 days (/5 x2). I suppose I need to check why I am on 0.32 for 2 days a week.

Also, wouldn't working 3 days have to be 0.6? Why would it be higher Jubilee?

Thanks

5. Do you work two full days, or is it some combination of half days?

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It could be higher if you were ,say, teaching every lesson of the three days, making your teaching timetable more than 0.6 of a full-timer's. That would mean youhaving your PPA allocated to a 4th day when the school have not timetabled you and may agree to you not having to be on the premises.
    My sister, a full-timer admittedly, was given a fixed afternoon session each week for her PPA and was allowed to leave school (Early Years ) at lunch-time on that day.
    As to your current dilemma ... are you required to be in school for 2 full days? With a 0.32 contract, you should be able to arrive later or leave earlier on one or both days, with an attendance coinciding with 8, not ten contact hours (not teaching for 8 hours though as you'd have your PPA time at least taken off that).
    If you are timtabled to teach the first and last lessons on each of your days, they should be paying you 0.4 to cover 'trapped time'.
    I think a chat with your Union is in order.

7. tedtrumpet

tedtrumpet New commenter

I work 1 full day and 2 half days. I still work this out at 9 periods though (with 1 PPA).

I'll talk to my Head today.

Thanks loads everyone.

Ted

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Are the lesson periods 1 hour long, making 10 hours in total out of a possible 25 in a full time week (thus representing 0.4)?
    If your 9 lessons + 1 PPA are 50 minute sessions, that comes to 8.33 hours out of a maximum 25 and equates to a 0.33 contract. If they are then paying you 0.32 it means that you havevery slightly more contact time than isthe average in your school but you will only be subject to 0.32 of the Directed Hours (404.8 DH) per year.
    Your 8.33 hours for 39 weeks comes to324.87 hours, so the Head can further direct you for 79.93 hours max. If you are required to be in for some staff briefings, you deduct that time from the 79.3 hrs. Any time in school that spans registration and/or morning and afternoon breaks is also educted (don't deduct the lunch break as that is unpaid time and you can't be made to do a lunch duty - in Primary, though, they may argue that of a 60 min lunch break for the pupils, teachers are only unpaid for 30 mins, so you would be bale to deduct the duty time from DH too). Any DH remaining can be allocated by the Head to parents' evenings, school meetings etc but only on the days when you are timetabled to be at work. Attendance on other days is only with your agreement and with extra pay at the full supply hourly rate (annual pay equivalent divided by 975).