1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My Referee has gone on long term sick!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Hannahannah, Jan 21, 2011.

1. The lecturer I used for my PGCE English application has been out of the office for 2 weeks! I am only getting auto generated emails. Can I change my reference? Will the universities be able to see that I have changed it and will that reflect badly on me?
    Help!

2. The lecturer I used for my PGCE English application has been out of the office for 2 weeks! I am only getting auto generated emails. Can I change my reference? Will the universities be able to see that I have changed it and will that reflect badly on me?
    Help!

3. No defo change it you dont want to waste time especially as some courses are first come first interviewed! Do you have a recent job for a manager to fill it in or another lecturer you can use!?

4. I do have another lecturer (I was under the impression the first reference must be an academic one?) but just wanted to check first. I have just emailed him to check he remembers me etc. I am slightly freaking out...

5. If you have finished uni then yes. I think its 3 or 5 years ago then a professional ref is acceptable (I graduated in 2006 and currently work in a secondary school as a TA/Form Tutor/ Cover Supervisor so I was lucky that the head teacher was my reference. I'd call up the uni ask to talk to the lecturer that you know want and explain that you need the ref done asap.

6. If you graduated from university less than 5 years ago it must be an academic referee as stated by the GTTR. I think it is fairly easy to change your referee on the form. I don't see how it would reflect you badly if you explain your circumstances.

7. That's a good idea. I work as a Special Needs LSA but I have my SENCO as my second reference and really want someone will comment on my academic ability. I will ring him during lunch,
    Thanks!