1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

‘My quitting teaching had very little to do with the kids and everything to do with the grown-ups’

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Exactly. There are lies, damned lies, and there is data. If they can kick out perfectly fine teachers within a term, if they can con the taxpayer out of millions and have MAT heads escape prison for misusing academy funds, if they can forge coursework, massage results and expel troubled less academic kids...then that school's data has become utterly meaningless. Schools are supposed to be societies in microcosm. If this is the case, then British society is in serious trouble. I think these forum posts are the only data that exists on this rather key point! The current fixation of school SLTS and, now, its staff and even students, is actually the most telling data for the failure of schools. Who cares if some of the data may have had some validity? The vast bulk of it has been used AGAINST kids and AGAINST teachers, resulting in a tragic destruction of the profession's retention, continuity, trustworthiness and validity. Guess that will eventually result in these irritating SLT 'data managers' finally being out of a job...

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  2. earlgreyteacher

earlgreyteacher New commenter

3. earlgreyteacher

earlgreyteacher New commenter

Oh, I so get what you mean. Been down that road and am "back" in class now, having been a member of the SLT. Hated it. And still abhor what that is all about. Each day I enjoy children looking to me, and those helping me, to find out how to deal with this wonderful world. Today a previously reticent, anxious and unconfident child essayed " horizontical" in answer to a question and, wait for it, her peers didn't smirk or chuckle, roll eyes or tut, but clapped and said "hurrah".
    I turned away and welled up....isn't this why we do what we do, you wonderfully inspirational people?

Mrs_Hamilton and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

earlgreyteacher,

“Senior leadership team” is not a term I ever heard during my years as a teacher, (though that’s not to say it hasn’t infiltrated our system by now, as several other bad ideas from overseas have), but you sound like just the sort of person who should be in it. I speak as someone who would probably have been regarded as a member of it for anywhere between 23 and 28 years – the number depending on how it is defined. I always saw my role as to support teachers, not to push them around, to protect them from the madness that hit us in my later years, not condemn them to it, to stand with them, not above them. I was not alone in that approach. Perhaps more sensible, decent people should endeavour to get on the inside to make the system better. I admit they got me in the end, but I was able to do some good along the way. So can you and thousands like you.