1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My poor furry friend!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by marymoocow, Jul 2, 2015.

1. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

My poor cat doesn't know what to do with herself. She wanders and flops from shady bush to shady bush. She can't even be bothered to chase the birds, not that there seems to be many around as they are escaping the heat.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Buy it a cooling mat for animals..seems the stay cool and keep the animal cool as well.

Do google search for it.

The pride of cats which seem to congregate i my garden for communal deification sessions are all hiding as well here...which is a pleasure as it means i dont have to dispose of their muck. My neighbor usually says her cat never leaves mess i her garden,,no i am sur.mine has better soil !

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I thought the normal treatment for cats was to chuck a bucket of water over them, perhaps they would welcome it?

4. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

My dehydrated cat was delivered to the front door by a kindly neighbour on Tuesday. The silly moggy won't drink tap water for love nor money, and was slowly drying out. Most of a chilled bottle of catmilk and a bowl of fishy-flavoured cooked coley water (don't ask) and he perked up considerably.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Our cat is a doddery 18 years old and I've only ever seen her drink twice, and one of those times was from a puddle. We put water out for her in a bowl but she ignores it. She was a rescued stray when we first got her and she obviously found a way to manage outdoors. They're supposed to get most of their moisture from their food anyway, so it's actually a good sign if a cat doesn't drink much.

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My dogs seem pretty sleepy this week too. Even the little one (17 months) is getting tired quickly but my oldest (13) was really struggling with his joints on Wednesday. It hasn't been as bad since but I have been putting ice cubes into their water to help them to keep cool. Fortunately they will happily drink tap water!

7. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

My cat will drink tap water if it is coming out of a tap, rarely from a bowl even if fresh. She jumps up at the sink and meows loudly until we turn it on.

8. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

My cat drinks occasionally in front of us, but definitely forages for moisture. She did once fall into our pool in South Africa attempting this. An indignant dripping heap shot into the house.

I was horribly shocked by finding a cat in the school I volunteered in when I was in SA. Staff meetings had been disrupted by a giant rat running through. However the poor cat

was shut in without food or water "to make sure it was hungry and would hunt". I found it food and water at once and got it returned to its usual home that day where it was properly cared for.

I have never seen a cat drink a whole bowl and a half of water in one sitting before or since.

9. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

My girl is very fond of standing on the edge of the bath whilst I am in it, and drinking the water from the 'big bowl'. (My youngest boy has tried to copy her a few times, and got distracted by playing with the bubbles/attempting to play catch with my sponge that he has fallen in a few times - he doesn't appear to have learnt his lesson though!).

It's only in really hot weather (as in previous summers and the last few days) that I ever see my girl drinking from the normal cat bowl. (She also likes a running tap, so I brought a pet water fountain a few years back - she never went near the damn thing!); my boys will regularly drink from the bowl.

Over the past couple days, I have placed an ice cube in the bowl to keep the water colder for longer; my vet also agrred this was a good idea - I came home from work earlier in the week and went to empty/re-fill the water bowl and the old water had turned really warm by the time I emptied it - poor things, who wants warm water in this weather?

I do have a portable air conditioner though (a god send! I live in a one bedroom flat, so only need to leave my doors open for it to cool the whole place down), which I set to time it for an an hour around midday whilst I'm a work. It's Eco-friendly, and so the the hour is a matter of pennies and I like to think it helps my little ones whilst I'm out :)

10. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

Jesus! Glad to hear that you rescued the little thing and found the poor little mite somewhere decent.