1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My piano exam

Discussion in 'Personal' started by thingyitk, Nov 14, 2019.

1. thingyitk

thingyitk New commenter

Today, I just did my piano grade 5 exam. I was so nervous when I entered the room. I did my pieces first and for the first piece, I messed up. I got more nervous and ended up crying while playing the following pieces, the scales, side reading and the aural test. Thus, I messed up everything. What should I do?

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

There's nothing you can do. I'm sorry it was such a poor experience. You will just have to wait for the result. Let's hope you've passed, but if you haven't then you could always take it again or not bother and move onto the grade 6 work. Allow yourself plenty of time and be well-prepared. Of course, some people don't take exams. You don't have to take them unless they are needed as an entry qualification for something.

Fingers crossed for you.

nizebaby and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It is natural to remember what went wrong and forget the 90% or so that was probably just fine. Almost everyone finds that they do much better in graded music exams than they expected on the day.

4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

If you were crying during all of the following bits and pieces after your first piece, it's a heartless examiner that did not ask if you wanted to stop and regroup. That's what I'd have done, irrespective of time constraints.
    It's really obvious if somebody is distressed that they are not going to perform to their best. What on earth was going on through their minds to actually let you continue?!

nizebaby likes this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I thought that achieving Grade 5 was a prerequisite for doing any of the Grades therebeyond?
    At least that is an AB requirement, no?

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

No, grade 5 theory is the prerequisite for grades 5 and above, or grade five jazz or general musicianship.

grumpydogwoman and marlin like this.
  7. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I sympathise as I can't begin to imagine how hard it must be to sit a performance exam. I hope things turn out OK.
    My youngest daughter said that doing those exams helped her long term in handling exams in general. So hopefully you'll benefit in the long run.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Commiserations. I once forgot the piece I was playing at a music festival in front of lots of people. Just got stuck.

So mortified I don't know what happened next. Have banished it from my mind.

frangipani123 likes this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Is it possible that the OP was charged with playing an emotionally mournful piece of music that would bring anyone to tears? It might have been a piece that held subliminal associations with a funeral you attended, or used to teach a now dead puppy how to dance to as a child.

It's only when you end up in tears whilst messing up "Happy Days Are Here Again" that you really need to worry.

10. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I'm sorry to hear this. Bad luck. I sympathise.
    If you want to retake, do so. Personally I would put it down to experience and start on Grade 6.
    Or, if you don't need to do exams, just stop and just play for pleasure. Playing an instrument should be enjoyed, not something that stresses you out.

11. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Wipe the keys, close the lid and pick up the trombone.

12. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

You don't need to pass grade 5 theory for Trinity College music exams. But OP - well done for having a go. Music exams are funny things. Some people enjoy the performing while others find them stressful. I think adults perhaps find them more difficult as we don't want to fail. Over the years I have accompanied lots of people for exams and have always found that examiners have been sympathetic to nervous candidates. You may have done better than you think.

13. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

That's occasionally possible - the poor candidate can be asked to pop out and have a sit down, a walk or even a cup of tea if there is a helpful steward, and come back after the examiner has got on with the next candidate or two. However, as someone who examined for 30 years I can say that the time constraints are terrible. One is only too aware that other candidates who are waiting may have accompanists who have other engagements to go to and who cannot delay, parents who have other children to pick up - or even that the exam venue may be booked for some other activity the moment the exams finish at 5pm, making any over-run impossible.

I always used to keep a packet of Kleenex in my examining bag if there was no other alternative, but I do remember years ago in South Wales suggesting to one tearful young lady near the end of the day that she could go out for a rest and come back after the last candidate had finished. When she never returned I asked the steward what happened: 'Oh, she ran away' was the reply. :(

sbkrobson likes this.