1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

My Pension

Discussion in 'Education news' started by num3bers, Feb 4, 2019.

1. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

If the increase in pension contributions (employers) is unfunded as Is next years pay rise, I would expect more academies to pull out of TPS.
    Likewise those private schools who have already pulled out, are they paying much higher salaries to compensate their teachers for the miserable pension they are being left with.

2. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Can Academies pull out of the TPS system?

Rott Weiler likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

More academies? You know an academy that has withdrawn its teachers from TPS? AFAIK state schools cannot withdraw from TPS.

border_walker likes this.
  4. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

No, that was my mistake I misread your link in post 3 which implied some academies are under pressure to fund the scheme.
    I hope I am not being prophetic though.

5. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

I suspect that any academy that withdrew from the TPS might find itself losing a lot of teachers and a huge problem replacing them.

6. pennyh.

pennyh. Occasional commenter

Keep your payslips and if they are sent electronically then print them out. Especially the March one. Many do not bother but when you have a missing year in a pension they are often needed for proof you were working. This can be a very long time after the event. If the school has not been making payments get that sorted. Sometimes they have but the blip is on the records at the TPS end. As said it is not a pot - the government just pay pensions out of the whole big gov. money pot.

7. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

I know teachers in independent schools are worried as the government won't help meet the cost of the employer pension contributions.

8. sci

sci New commenter

The 'firefighter judgement' on pension changes is still working its way through courts and appeals. Once this has finished there may well be a big effect on teacher pensions. Have a look on the retirement forum for further information. It will affect both state and independent schools.