1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

My pen drive has finally died.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I keep all my data on a pen drive (encrypted) that I take between home and school. Everything is on that drive.
    Last week it started misbehaving and I couldn't back it up at all. I couldn't find out when it had last backed up so this has been going on for a while.
    Panic set in and I went and bought a portable hard drive yesterday rather than a pen drive.
    Data moved, back up done and relief set in. Phew!
    [​IMG]

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Did you experience any tera?

3. Thanks for sharing that.
    cyolba, having to punch himself in the face to stay awake :)

4. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Just shows that I am ready to get back to work!!

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Now then, a decent punch would put you to sleep!

6. How awful. You'd rather be at work than not?
    cyolba, wishing for a 39 week holiday :)

7. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Please don't.
    Memory sticks are complete ****, made down to a price. I have gone through about 5 in the same number of years.

8. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

I find it really does depend on the memory stick. I've had some bog-standard PNY sticks from PC World last years (and still work now) but some of the fancier, smaller ones (with the retractable connector) are absolutely terrible.
    But really it depends on how much/how often you put stuff on it - the more you use it, the shorter time it will last...

9. The best sticks IMO are San Disk Cruzer Blade

Now your next step , Marshy is to incrementally back up your new hard drive on a regular basis.....just in case.

10. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

That did make me chuckle.

11. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

R.I.P Marshall's pen drive.

12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Some pen drive deaths are more tragic than others!
    [​IMG]

13. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

I had never heard of a pen drive before I read this thread. It has made me howl with laughter.

14. tidal

tidal New commenter

I've retrieved data from and for that matter "repaired" about 20 of these sticks simply fixing broken connections at the pcb end of the usb. Yes I know they are cheap enough to replace but my permanent poverty (and legendary tightness of wallet) has let to me having quite a few reserve sticks now..... :)

15. I have never had a pen drive die on me yet - I use them often for giving data to my kids to take to their Dads and upload.
    I do save all my "important" stuff on an external hard drive (photos, music, etc.).
    Work stuff is stored on either my local drive or the work's central drive and I just dock in my laptop and access it. I can access it at home via VPN, so no need to save separately.

16. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

Noooooo - now I'm going to have nightmares Nomad!
    My pen drive is a little smiley froggy, and just the thought of it ....

17. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Does "data" mean viruses? [​IMG]

18. I am not that nasty...[​IMG]

19. We mostly use them too. But for a while, daughter did not have a card slot on her laptop.